Chapter 29

Belle forced a grin at the two old women standing before her.

"Now, remember to keep your posture straight, Miss Roux. Slouching leads to grouching, you know."

The teen nodded, trying not to show her irritation at these strangers' opinions. After another minute of Belle listening to their 'advice' she eventually broke away, searching the crowd for her friends who had all agreed to at least showing up to her birthday party.

 She heard Sirius before she saw him.

"There's the birthday girl!" Rose wrapped her arms around Belle, squeezing her. Her friends all gave her similar greetings, but what Belle really focused on was what they were wearing.

"Never did I ever think I'd see James Potter and Sirius Black in dress robes." Belle giggled, making said boys shift uncomfortably.

"Don't worry, Belle, they're coming off as soon as you want them too." Sirius winked, making Belle's face flush. None of the teens really knew what to say next, but thankfully they didn't have to as the musicians hired for the evening had arrived and had begun to play a classic waltz. Adults flooded to the dance floor, dancing in graceful movements that made them look years younger than they were.

"Anyone want to dance?" Rose sighed, "I'm dying to move around."

All of the girls agreed to dance together, and they were about to leave the boys behind, but Sirius called Belle's name.

"Ah—Belle."

She slowly turned to him, curious.

"Care to dance?" He grinned, causing her eyebrows to shoot upwards.

"Really?" She blurted, before feeling utterly idiotic with her word choice. "I mean—yea, of course."

She took his arm, now feeling grateful for the dance lessons her grandmother had insisted on giving her last summer. When she passed the girls, now whispering to each other about Belle and Sirius, Lily winked at her and made kiss faces. Luckily, Sirius was too busy waving off the boys, who were doing the exact same thing to notice. The two pushed through pairs of adults until they found an empty spot.

They fell into rhythm with the other dancers, both executing the traditional movement they had been taught since they were little with ease. Everyone knew the steps to the traditional waltz, at least all the kids who'd grown up around magic had. Belle felt bad for Lily who had been completely lost when everyone started dancing.

"I'm guessing it wasn't your idea to have the party?" Sirius asked once the dancing had slowed.

"Is it obvious?"

"Not really—you seem to be keeping a poker face. I just know from experience someone our age doesn't just throw these types of parties willingly."

Belle laughed, nodding. "I'd rather just have friends over and not care for a night, but pureblooded grandparents don't seem to understand that concept."

Sirius completely agreed with what Belle was saying, but he knew that Belle's grandparents loved her and treated her with respect and kindness, something his own family had never done.

Sirius and Belle talked for a long time, not caring about the inquisitive and suspicious thoughts of their friends or how her grandmother probably wanted her to interact with other people that night. By the time Sirius excused himself to go to the restroom Belle was on cloud nine. In that moment she didn't have to worry about anything, everything was settled back out and clear.