Chapter 33

After about an hour of pacing near the Ravenclaw tower, the clock now struck five and Belle found herself waiting in the Gryffindor common room. Luckily none of the girls were present, meaning she didn't have to avoid them. But one who was present was Sirius Black, looking clean cut for once in his life. He was by himself, a rare sight to see, and he was holding a single red rose.

As Belle approached him, he straightened his posture and smiled softly.

"You look beautiful," He grinned, handing her the rose. She blushed as she accepted it, whispers filling the common room. It was no doubt that word of Sirius and Belle 'dating' would flood the castle by tomorrow as Gryffindors were not known to keep secrets. He extended his arm and she took it, the two briskly leaving the warm room and out into the cold hallways.

"So, where are we going anyways?"

"The Astronomy Tower, of course."

Belle had thought about places he would take her, and the astronomy tower was Belle's first guess. It was the only place well fit for a private date in the Hogwarts halls and many students went there for alone time. It was a nice view and Professors rarely went up there due to the hike up and the hike back down.

They barely spoke as they hiked up there, the only words that left their mouths concerning with the chilly weather or how exhausted they were. It was sort've awkward, but neither of the teens really cared. It was Belle's first date, and her mind was racing with other possibilities than conversation starters.

Once the pair had reached the top of the astronomy tower, they sat down with their feet dangling out over the railing. Belle was nervous for a multitude of reasons, and it was apparently clear on her face as Sirius asked her what was wrong minutes later.

"Oh," She waved off, "Just heights-I don't like them."

"Oh, right, we can move against the wall if you want?" Sirius suggested, pulling one of his legs back under the railing to move. Belle laughed and shook her head.

"It's fine, I'll have to get over it sometime-better now than later."

The two trailed off into another pit of silence, but Belle was now determined to keep the conversation going. She always kept conversation with Remus, so why is she finding it so hard to do the same with Sirius?

"Why me?" She blurted, regretting the words almost as soon as she said them. Sirius's head snapped up, looking at the girl next to him with wide and confused eyes.

"Pardon?" He laughed.

"Why-why'd you go after me now? Take me on a date... and... everything?"

His eyebrows practically flew to his hairline, leaning him arms against the bars in front of them.

"Good heavens, Belle, why does anyone take anyone on a date ever?" He asked, his voice laced with sarcasm. He nudged her arm before continuing, "You have to know by now that I like you, right? You're not that daft, are you?"

"I-I know that you like me, that's not what I was asking. I was asking why you like me-I mean, I'm nothing like any of the other girls you go after, so why?"

He shrugged, scrunching his face up. "Not sure...Maybe what I need is someone not so reckless."

She raised a brow, "I can be reckless."

He snorted, running a hand through his longer hair. "I'll believe that when I see it, Roux."

"Just wait and see, Black." She teased. "I don't think you've cut your hair since first year."