Chapter 29

Lily ran a green brush through her long hair, which now almost reached the middle of her back. The repetitive motion was steady and careful not to rip out any of the hairs that crowded her scalp. She really had to cut her hair before it started getting in the way of her daily life; plus the split ends were ghastly. She set down the brush once she was sure every strand had been brushed accordingly.

Her mind tried to plan out the events of the upcoming evening, but she had no clue what tonight would entail. She knew that this was a big event, and that many of the Hogwarts students would be there because of their parents, and she couldn't help but feel nervous to go. Belle had told her multiple times her family was completely accepting of Muggleborns but a lot of people still weren't.

She also new that Sirius and James would be there, and that factor alone sent a wave of annoyance through her. She couldn't stand the two that thought so highly of themselves; the two that caused so much extra effort to stay calm throughout the day. She would be fine if they never talked to her again- she'd be fine if she never saw them again, really. She only hoped that they'd be a little more mature today.

"Are you ready, Lily?"

Her head snapped to the doorway where her mother beamed at her, Petunia scrunching her nose in the background.

"Yea, mum."

— — — — —

James and Sirius grimaced at their appearances in the mirror. Never did they think they'd ever put on a suit willingly, especially not for something that should be casual and fun.

"We look..."

"...like idiots." James finished his friend's sentence, pulling at the tight tie around his neck. Normally ties didn't bother them—they were already apart of their uniform—but this one was particularly stiff and clingy. It was suffocating him.

Sirius nodded, turning to look at the back of his suit. 

"Do you think these trousers make me look fat?"

James shoved the hound to the floor, rolling his eyes.

— — — — —

Rose grinned at herself as she twirled in front of her floating mirror, her blonde hair curled into tight ringlets down her back flinging around helplessly. When she came to a stop, her feet tumbled and she found herself on the floor, forming a particularly painful lump on her leg. With as much poise as she could muster, she stood and flattened out her white dress. Her eyes flew from her mirror to her desk the opposite side of the room, where her jewelry box lay. She approached the precious heirlooms given to her by her mother.

Rose had the best life of her friends. She had two parents that loved her, both of whom were very healthy and happy. She had everything she could ever possibly want at the tip of her fingers. She had been to numerous countries around the world and experienced many amazing things. She had a wonderful group of friends and teachers that loved her.

But for some reason—one reason—she was upset.

Why was she upset, you ask?

Rose's mother, Elizabeth or Darling, as everyone else calls her, had announced to her daughter three days prior that she was pregnant.

At first Rose was ecstatic, she's always wanted a little sister or brother. But then it soon settled on her that she wouldn't be her parent's top priority and that they wouldn't be able to travel as much as they used to. She wouldn't be the one getting all of her grandparent's Christmas money and she'd be the second in line for the best presents. She wouldn't be the baby anymore.