Chapter 39

It was a little past midnight when she woke up to shuffling around the room. It started off small, the sound of duvets scratching against each other as whoever was getting up. Belle at first thought nothing of it, probably just one of the girls going to the bathroom. But then the sound of robes, followed by the patter of shoes, and then the familiar creak of the door alerted Belle that someone had definitely left the room. Normally Belle wouldn't of cared enough to investigate but seeing as everything was starting to look a little more suspicious in her eyes, she decided to get up and see.

It was Rose who had left her bed, her bed curtains opened just enough for her to escape without making too much noise and the door creaked open a tiny bit so that it wouldn't make noise when she entered the room again. Belle wasn't stupid enough to assume that this was Rose's first time sneaking out, especially when everything seemed too calculated to be perfect.

The walk to the common room felt like ages, her mind racing with possibilities. Maybe Rose joined some book club that met after midnight? Maybe she found someone she likes and she's been meeting them? Maybe she joined the death eaters? Belle focused her attention on not tripping over her robe down the stairs instead of thinking up some way Rose could've ruined her life.

When Belle did get close to common room, more shuffling filled her ears, but when she peered around the corner, she caught sight of a short, mouse-like boy instead of the blonde witch. He was fumbling with something in his hands, a cloak of some sort. Belle knew what it was, it was Jame's invisibility cloak, one that he had inherited from his father and his father before that. He'd shared his most prized possession with his friend group in second year—mostly just to show off but he pretends it was because he didn't want his friends to get caught snooping.

She narrowed her eyes as Peter left the common room in a rush, stumbling over his feet once he left the portrait. Belle quickly followed behind, knowing Peter wouldn't bother to check behind him on his adventure. She followed the panicked boy down hallway after hallway, ducking behind pillars on the off chance he did look behind him. She did wonder why he didn't just put on the cloak if he was trying to be secretive, but it is Peter Pettigrew we are talking about.

She had managed to follow him to the doors of the Hospital wing, where an annoyed James paced with nervous eyes that darted around every corner. Once Peter arrived he took the cloak from him and slipped it over them, but their voices still remained in earshot for a while.

"What took you so long?" James hissed, and even from her position behind a wall Belle could hear Peter tremble.

"I c-couldn't find my socks, James."

"Then go without them, mate, this is for Remus and his safety. You do want Rem to be safe, don't you?"

"O-Of course! Whatever it takes!"

It fell silent for a few more minutes but Belle knew they didn't leave, mostly because Peter's left shoe peaked out from under the invisibility cloak. She waited with them, too curious to leave until she found out why they were there.

"Where the bloody hell is Sirius?" James huffed after nearly ten minutes had gone by with complete silence. "I told him to meet us here twenty minutes ago..."

"Probably with her..."

"I know, I can't believe they're doing this to Belle—Rose should know better."

At that point Belle had a terrible feeling about what was happening, she just didn't want to believe it.

"Shouldn't Sirius know better too?" Peter asked.