Chapter 34

"I'm going to punch them in the face."

"You probably shouldn't..."

"Why not?"

"Because Professor Snape is looking particularly menacing today—and I'd doubt he spare you a detention."

Belle rolled her eyes.

The news of her and Sirius had spread to every corner of the castle by morning, even the ghosts had been throwing her side glances as she passed . No-one really expected someone like Brielle Roux to ever even consider someone like Sirius Black, to say it was shocking to the population was completely true.

Remus and her had only managed to get a dozen feet from the common room before the whispers started. Some people had tried to keep it subtle, the only recognition that they knew Sirius and Belle were now a thing were the sly glances thrown in her direction every few minutes. Others, specifically a Ravenclaw girl named Lana Bell, didn't care about speaking their opinions and nearly shouted at them in a jealous rage as the duo passed.

Now Remus and Belle sat across from each other at the Gryffindor table, the first of their friends to arrive for breakfast. The whispers had only gotten worse since they entered the Great Hall and it seemed as if every pair of eyes was latched onto Belle.

"Why do they care so much?" She huffed, stabbing at her fried egg, "I mean—I'm not the first girl to ever go out with him, why am I so different?"

"You're quiet, reserved, a good student...basically everything Sirius isn't? People were... I don't know- caught off guard?"

"But why do they stare? Do they think—oh god, do they I'm pregnant? Do they think that's why Sirius is going out with me? Child support? Oh bloody hell—"

Remus flicked a piece of watermelon at the girls' face, causing her panic to stop and her face to flinch. She was stunned for a moment, her mind desperately trying to process what happened, before she slowly turned back to Remus.

"Sorry," He chuckled, "It's hard to make you stop talking sometimes." 

Belle's face bloomed red.

"No one thinks you're pregnant, Belle." He continued,  "If anything, that's the last thing that anyone would consider, and you know that."

She nodded, rubbing her temples with her free hand that wasn't viciously destroying her egg. Remus took hold of her wrist, removing the fork from it before setting it down on the table.  Belle sent him a thankful smile, burying her head in her hands

"Merlin, I'm sorry Remus. I don't know what's wrong with me today..."

"I don't blame you for being stressed, but you should try to calm down. The day goes smoother for everyone if Belle Roux isn't high strung."

The two laughed together, her bad mood deflating. If anyone could level her out it was Remus; he always had a way of calming people down and looking for the reason in most situations. He was the peace maker of the group, he was the glue.

"Eileen and I had a fight last night, before the date."

His eyebrows lifted, "Again?"

"Yea, sometimes I think that she just hates me, you know? I'm positive she still likes Sirius, considering she tried to tell me I was stupid for going on the date last night."

Remus chewed on the inside of his cheek, avoiding Belle's eyes. He agreed with Eileen completely. Sirius Black was a player and uses his mind tricks to make girls think they were special, until he gets tired of them and throws them out. It was only a matter of time before Belle was thrown out of his grasp, too.