Chapter 28

(This song has nothing to do with the chapter-- I'm just obsessed with it rn and thought you guys should enjoy it too :))

Belle found time passing rather quickly, months flying by in a glance. Maybe it was because she was content, maybe it was because there was nothing really dramatic happening in her life. All she had to focus on was school and completing her next essay, something she never really had during her time at Hogwarts.

The group shared their first experience at Hogsmeade together as a full group, and Belle could say it wasn't that different than when her, Lily, and Remus went. There was more noise and more Butterbeers, but otherwise it was exactly the same. She didn't understand how sixth years, who'd been going to Hogsmeade for three years already, could find something new to do every trip. Maybe she was just a needy person and should learn how to enjoy the little things.

Belle had begun to think of a plan to try and dim Lily's hatred for James. She never complained about James anymore, thinking if she left James out of her complaints that Lily would think he never did anything. Sadly Belle's plan failed and led mot of the girls to think she liked James, but after Belle nearly throwing up from the suggestion they all seemed to forget about the accusation.

It seemed as if all was right in the world.

But, all good things must come to an end, right?

Belle hummed at a comment Lily made from beside her, the two talking about the recent news.

"Did you hear about the new girl band that just popped up out of nowhere?"

"What?"

"The Weird Sisters—I think, anyways. They seem awfully odd to me."

"That's usually how bands start. The look weird, people like weird and boom—popular."

"How much do you wanna bet that when we're forty, they'll be really popular?"

"I don't know..."

"I bet you two galleons."

"Fine, you're on."

The two girls grinned at each other, their grins fading just as quickly as the train slowed to a stop. Voices of dozens of family members flooded through the magical platform, parents welcoming back their beloved children for another summer. After a rather sad goodbye to all her friends, and a promise of writing, she begun to scan the crowd for her father.

She searched for a good ten minutes, but to no avail. Her father was nowhere to be found, and just the thought was depressing to Belle. Had her father really forgotten her? Or did he purposefully not pick her up?

"Brielle, dear!" A cheery voice made Belle's head turn, spotting Mrs. Potter walking towards her with James and Mr. Potter trailing behind.

"Hello, Mrs. Potter." She greeted kindly, her manners kicking in despite her situation.

"Oh—call me Euphemia, girl, I've told you hundreds of times! Where's your father?"

Belle's eyes cast down to the floor.

"Oh, I don't think he's coming." She sighed, giving her best smile she could at that moment. The older woman's face changed quickly, making Belle wonder how she could change emotions so fast. Behind her, James frowned. He knew about Belle's father from overhearing it from his own parents talking, but he never thought Benjamin would just abandon her altogether.