Chapter 18

Belle was finally thirteen.

 Belle expected to get something from her father, but not what she actually got. Normally her father was simple with his gifts, opting for a new set of cards or a bag full of her favorite candy, but this year was different. He had surprised her with her favorite breakfast that morning, blueberry pancakes, and an old necklace of her mothers' that Belle had never seen.

 He had surprised her with her favorite breakfast that morning, blueberry pancakes, and an old necklace of her mothers' that Belle had never seen

It was a beautiful silver chain with a small locket piece hanging off of it. The locket showed a painted-glass picture of a brunette and a large beast in a dancing position, staring into each other's eyes. She seemed to be hypnotized by the tiny piece of jewelry as not only did it hold sentimental value, but it was mature and gorgeous.

"It's beautiful, Papa."

"This necklace was your mothers- she's had it since we met. I thought you'd like to have it, as a... memory, I guess... keep her close at Hogwarts." Her father smiled softly, ruffling his daughter's hair. She didn't move to fix it, instead staring down at the locket in her hands.

"Really? What does this picture mean?"

"True love, I believe."

Belle smiled at her father, hugging him once more before opening the locket. On one side was a picture of Belle taken not so long ago. The wizard picture of her moved as she smiled up at the camera. She'd remembered the picture being taken last year by her uncle while he was visiting.

"Why am I in it? And why is the other side empty?"

"It opens?!" 

Belle smirked and shook her head, patting her father on the shoulder.

"I really love it, thank you."

"No problem darling, now, go get dressed for Nana's. She requested to see you today."

"Oh please don't make me go!"

"Brielle, she's your grandmother. Show some respect."

"You don't like her either."

"...Touche. Now go." Belle groaned but left, clutching the locket on the chain close to her chest.

-- -- -- -- --

"Hi Nana." Belle greeted as her grandmother pulled her inside the house for many hugs and disgusting kisses.

"My Belle is all grown up! Oh, you're a woman! You're already starting to look like a woman too! Oh, Devin, doesn't she look like a woman?"

Belle's grandfather grunted from across the room where he was reading the paper. He didn't once take his eyes off the news as he spoke.