Chapter 6

Dear Belle,

Your mother had another episode today, so I brought her to St. Mungos and they're gonna keep her there for a few days. Hopefully nothing serious, nothing you should worry about. I hope classes are going well, and that you're making more memories with your friends. Hogwarts years are some of the best years of your life, don't waste them. Spring Holiday is coming up, can't wait to see you, I miss you.

Love,

B.R.

Belle's featured darkened when she read the letter at breakfast on Monday morning. It was short, but said more than a three paged essay. Her mother was sick, and Belle knew it. This, whatever it is, happened again which isn't a good sign. As much as Belle wanted to drop everything and demand Dumbledore take her to her parents, she knew it would only stress her mother out even more, which is the opposite of what she should do.

"You okay, Belle?" Remus asked her, his head propped up on the table. He looked incredibly exhausted himself, yet still managed to ask Belle how she was first.

"Yea, I'm fine. Just some family stuff."

"You can tell us." Rose spoke lowly, her eyes holding sympathy and patience for her friend.

"My mum, she fell again and this time it sounded worse. She's in St. Mungos right now." Belle sighed, setting the letter down on the table.

"I'm so sorry, I hope she feels better." Lily whispered. The apologies and the sympathetic glances from Sirius and James made Belle feel uncomfortable, so she took a deep breath and nodded, standing from her spot at the table.

"Thanks... I think I'm going to head to the dormitories for a bit before classes." She gave them the best smile she could managed and waltzed away. Was her mother okay? She sure hoped she was, she couldn't bare to think of a life without her mother, they were close as two family members could be. None of her friends followed her out of the Great Hall, and she was glad for that, because she just wanted some space. She needed to think and clear her head a bit.

Apparently, trying to think while walking down a slightly crowded hallway was not the greatest idea, as Belle ran head-first into a first year Slytherin.

"Oh- sorry." She murmured, clutching her book-bag to her side. She glanced up into the eyes of a Slytherin she did not know by name but vaguely recognized him from the Sorting. The boy looked at her for a moment before scowling.

"Watch where you're going." He hissed, pushing past her. Another boy, shorter than his friend tumbled past Belle as well, casting the girl a scowl. He reminded her of an evil version of Peter, following his friend like a puppy. 

"How rude." Belle huffed, now in an even worse mood. Everything was just terrible today, and it wasn't even first period yet. She glared at everything on her way back to the common room, before stopping in front of the Fat Lady.

"Leo Forti." She growled, impatient. The Fat Lady shook her head, looking down upon the young Gryffindor with sympathy.

"What?" Belle asked, crossing her arms.

"I'm afraid the password was changed." The Fat Lady shared a glance with the portrait next to her. Belle let out a frustrated groan, smacking her hand against her forehead.

"You know me, I've said hello to you for weeks now!"

"Sorry, dear, protocol."

"Are you kidding me?!"

And so Belle waited outside, with her back against the walls and her head buried in her arms. Eventually, a fifth year came by and unlocked the portrait, patting Belle lightly on the shoulder. She thanked the upperclassmen, before marching off to her dorm. By the time she got up there, it was already fifteen minutes until classes begun, and she had Potions first, which was down in the dungeons. She would make it if she ran but feeling exhausted and in a terrible mood, she decided to fake illness just for the day. Slipping off her shoes, she slid into her bed still clothed in her uniform, her book bag abandoned by the foot of her bed. And she slept for hours and hours, missing classes and lunch. Unknowingly, she had sent Lily and Rose into panicked states, not seeing their friend all day. Rose assumed the worst, thinking that she had gotten kidnapped by the Slytherins. Lily brushed off those ideas, knowing Serverus would tell her if anything of the sort was to happen.