Chapter 27

^^^(kinda sorta what I picture Belle like) ^^^

Belle, James, and Sirius sat awkwardly together on the couch in den, everyone looking everywhere except at the other people in the room. Belle shifted her hands from her lap, to the couch arms, to her knees, and then back to her lap as she tired to occupy the silence. Her eyes darted from one side of the room to the next, noticing things she had never noticed before. For example, there was a rather large dent in the wall by the fireplace, something she was sure wasn't there a few days ago.

She didn't know why they were all so awkward around each other now, considering they were never left in an dead silence at Hogwarts. But they were always around someone else, whether it be any of their other friends—Belle couldn't remember a time when it was just her, Sirius and James. She was also still annoyed with their childish behavior, something that probably kept her from starting a conversation.

"Nice house," James gave an uncomfortable smile towards Belle, who gave one right back.

"Thanks..." She mumbled, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. They fell into another tension filled silence, until Sirius decided to break it.

"Alright then, where's the bathroom?"

"Down the hall, first door on the left."

"Thanks."

And with that, James and Belle were left alone.

She took a glance at the be speckled boy, noticing his eyebrows furrowed and his head tilted down. He was thinking deeply about something, and Belle was rather curious as to what that was. James rarely fell into a serious facade, claiming it made the situation rather tense whenever he did. She had to admit, James was the more mature one out of him and Sirius, and she had a rather good feeling that he'd mature soon. Or at least that's what she hoped.

"It's rude to stare," James raised his eyebrows, his gaze landing on Belle who rolled her eyes.

"You're thinking," She retorted, "It's weird."

"I think plenty! Do you really think Sirius comes up with all of our pranks?"

She shrugged, "I guess not."

She chewed on her cheek as he fell into another daze, picking at a loose thread on the couch. The laughter of the children's guardians flooded through the archway to the den.

"Who would've thought our families were friends?" Belle commented, crossing her legs beneath her.

"Most sane pureblooded ones are."

"Most sane?"

He nodded slowly, his eyes still trained on the thread. "The ones who are prejudiced assholes."