Chapter 14

Belle didn't talk for hours. 

All she did was weep, so much her eyes became raw and her voice was near gone. Her father had left to sign paperwork at the front desk minutes ago and her mother's body had been removed from the room, her belongings packed in a clear hospital bag that would go home with the two. Belle didn't even glance at her father when he entered the room, only staring blankly at the empty bed before them.

"Belle, I know you're grieving." Her father tried to get her to speak again. 

Silence.

 "I'm grieving too, but she wouldn't of wanted us to wallow away over her." The grown man wiped the tears threatening to spill from his eyes. He was trying so hard to believe his own words but he was finding it significantly harder and harder the more time passed.

"-You have to go back, Belle. I have to go work- we have to continue for her, right?" The man asked, hearing nothing in return. The doctors had warned him about some PTSD symptoms Belle might acquire after this, but he didn't know it be this quick and that drastic.

"Belle, please say something." Benjamin sighed, rubbing his face. He was tired, to say the least. Him nor Belle had slept at all, the stress still present in their exhausted bodies which only weighed them down further. Belle still said nothing, but stood, heading for the door. She didn't look back into the room as she left the hospital for the last time, her father following her. When she entered the waiting room Susie looked at her, searching for any sort of emotion from the girl but there was none. She was completely blank.

There sat Dumbledore still waiting in the chair, in a different outfit, which showed the man had left the hospital sometime during the night. He stood when he saw Brielle, who walked over to him after hugging her father tightly. Benjamin watched as his daughter nodded at whatever Dumbledore said, before they apparated away with a loud pop.

Suzie leaned forwards, placing a hand on the man's arm.

"She's a sweet girl, you know? Very tough." The woman whispered, and Benjamin nodded, sighing.

"Strongest person I know."

-- -- -- -- --

Belle had left Dumbledore's office at the start of dinner, not exchanging any words with the Headmaster. Dumbledore knew the girl needed space, and that's what he'll give her for now. He also knew he needed to keep an eye on Belle, as dark times can lead to dark thoughts, and that was something Dumbledore had to be careful of. He didn't want the light to fade in Belle as it had in so many other students.

 Belle didn't greet any portraits as they welcomed her back to the castle after her departure. She entered the open doors of the Great Hall and almost every head turned to look at Belle. She did not bother to look at anyone, heading straight for the Gryffindor table next her friends. There was an open seat between Lily and Remus: her seat. Her friends had left her seat open for her, even though they did not know she was coming back. Somewhere in the back of her heart, it warmed knowing her friends did care, but the walls she'd built up blocked that part from reaching the rest of her darkened heart.

"Belle?" Rose asked as Belle sat down, everyone turning back to what they had been doing before. She didn't answer Rose, only looking up at her to show she heard the girl before placing some mashed potatoes on the plate and picking at it, moving the food around with her fork. The rest of her friends exchanged looks as Belle stayed quiet. Lily nudged her but Belle didn't budge. The table became awkward as no-one talked. Throughout the whole dinner the second year Gryffindor's stayed quiet, only talking when they wanted someone to pass the salt.