Chapter 15

The first few days of break were completely boring. 

She'd finished her homework like always and explored the castle multiple times, even going as far to say that she probably memorized it. It wasn't until the fifth night, four days until Christmas, that she noticed someone else in Gryffindor that had stayed over break. Two people actually, two seventh years that looked content with their situation. The girl was pale with dark hair and the guy had shiny blonde hair that fell into his face most of the time. She'd seen them in the common room on the way back from exploring but been too shy to go and talk to them. 

On Christmas Eve, Belle couldn't sleep. She stayed up for hours, wishing she would just close her eyes once more. She was tired, sure, but her mind was racing. She missed her friends.  She wished her father wouldn't have gone on the business trip or visited her grandparents. She wished her mother hadn't gotten sick. She wished her life was okay.

At three a.m. Belle dragged herself out of her empty dorm room, trudging down the stairs to see an already lit fire and the older seventh year girl staring at the orange flicker. Belle was about to turn around as to not disturb the girl, but she turned her head before Belle could escape.

"S'alright, you can sit here. Won't bother me." Belle turned around,  taking a seat next to the girl. Belle glanced at the seventh year, seeing only a woman ready to start her life in the world. She was small compared to her. 

"Couldn't sleep, huh?" The seventh year spoke, turning her gaze towards the twelve year old next to her. Belle shook her head, too shy to meet the older girls' gaze. She hadn't spoken with an upperclassmen before and she surely didn't want to embarrass herself.

"Me neither. Bad dreams are contagious, it seems. I'm Alexandra." Alexandra reached out her hand to Belle who ginelrgly took it. "You're Brielle, right?"

Belle looked at the girl, startled. How did she know her name? Hopefully for nothing embarrassing.

"Oh - sorry. You've caught all of my friends' eyes at one point - Not in that way! It's just you're very mature, Brielle."

"Belle." Belle muttered, for the first time in weeks. She seemed surprised at her own voice, as did the girl.

"Wow, we heard you went mute. Guess our source was wrong."

"I was. I mean- this is the first I've talked in weeks." Belle coughed. The girl smiled, nodding.

"I'm honored then. Easier to talk to a stranger than your friends?" Belle nodded, indeed finding it quite easier to talk to Alexandra than Lily or Remus.

"It is, surprisingly."

"Let loose." The girl said suddenly, bringing her legs under her and fully turning towards Belle, who slowly copied the girls position.

"What?"

"Sorry - it's expression my friends use. I mean rant, get everything off your chest. I'm known to be a good listener." Belle looked at her hands while she contemplated. Maybe she did need to talk to someone, and maybe this seventh year would have some knowledge for her. Maybe she needed to clear out her system.

"Okay," Belle sighed, rubbing her face. "I'm upset."

"Clearly." The girl chuckled, nodding for her to continue.

"About a month ago, my mother passed away from sickness-" She croaked, picking at a seam in the couch. She heard the older girl let out a breath, nodding for her to continue. "-and my father sent me back to Hogwarts the next day, saying we had to keep going. I wanted to go home, to hide under my covers and scream. I wanted to forget everything. So, I tried to keep the memory of my Mum alive by not speaking. It's seems quite stupid now, I guess, but that seems to be how life works. Do stupid things, then regret them later."