Chapter 13

Belle prepared herself as much as she could for Rose's excitement today but her plans failed miserably. She awoke to Rose prancing around the room, her robes accompanied by black and orange pins. Belle raised an eyebrow at the blonde, watching her with amusement as she twirled while brushing her hair.

"Rose, it's six-thirty in the morning-- you're already dressed?"

"Yep, it's Halloween."

"Of course, how could I have forgotten?" Belle sighed, swinging her legs over the bed. She got ready, all while listening to Rose's happy chants and obnoxious squeals. Eventually Eileen and Lily had awoken too, and they also endured the annoying spirit of Rosaline Domina.

"Sirius, make her stop." Belle whined as they entered the common room, falling into the couch next to Remus. Sirius grimaced, looking at the girl that was now ranting to a very annoyed Lily Evans.

"Why me?"

"She only listens to you!" Eileen exclaimed, covering her head with a pillow. He looked back at the blonde before shaking his head slowly.

"How?"

"Woo her or something." Belle suggested, sitting up and smoothing down her hair. Remus chuckled before fixing a part that she had missed in the very back. She thanked him quietly. Sirius nodded, standing up. He sauntered over to the blonde and immediately Belle knew this was a mistake. Rose turned to look at him, her face scrunching up the closer he walked.

"Rose."

"Yes?"

"My dearest Rose, your friends are very annoyed, and they would like me to 'make you stop'." He grinned, causing Rose to roll her eyes.

"And what makes them think I'd stop for you?"

He raised his hands in surrender.

"That's what I said!"

-- -- -- -- --

"We have been discussing the essence used to provide objects with their magical properties. Now, well move on to the requirements necessary for releasing the essence that has been stored within the object." Professor Flitwick explained walking from one side of the room to the other, eyeing each student individually. The boys sat opposite of the room from the girls, constantly making faces to make them laugh. Lily, who desperately tried to ignore them, continued to glare in the her friends direction whenever one of the girls let out a quiet chuckle. Belle giggled when Sirius flicked Remus with his wand, snapping him out of the daze he'd been in.

Remus had yet to explain his terrible state to any of his friends, and the boys had begun to get suspicious. They no longer believed the boy was leaving the castle to visit his mother, which had been his story since first year. Belle, of course, completely believed it and often stuck up for Remus when the boys questioned him. Now even Belle was beginning to have her doubts as well, especially because it was once every month he was visiting her. Even she, who also had a very sick mother at home, didn't leave the castle that often and so precisely each month as well. To add onto her doubt, his return with scars and tired eyes didn't help his story. He tried to play it off as clumsiness but even Remus wasn't that clumsy.

Just as Flitwick was about to scold the boys for not paying attention, the door to his classroom opened, revealing McGonagall who looked anxious and sorrow.

"Excuse me Professor Flitwick, may I borrow Miss Roux?" 

Flitwick nodded, eyeing Belle with confusion. Belle never did anything to get in trouble; she's always been studious polite.