Chapter 45

Nothing was the same

The happiness and glee of going back to Hogwarts for another year was dead and gone, the death of the innocent promoting many to avoid public places all-together. She noticed the fear when she went to Diagon Alley for her yearly things, and then at Platform 9 and 3/4. The disappearances of families all over Europe has struck a new panic into the hearts of parents and students alike. Children no longer smiled, they shuddered. Parents no longer cried with happiness, they cried with fear that they would lose their child. It seemed as if the world slipped into darkness; no matter where anyone went, you were betrayed.

Her grandparents had warned her not to trust anyone who she hadn't trusted before. They sent her off with crazed eyes and a promise to send weekly letters. Ever since Maurice had returned and forcibly tried to remove Belle from her home two weeks ago, Belle found herself not knowing who to trust. Could she even trust her friends anymore? Or were they traitors too?

She wandered the train, glancing into compartments and giving smiles to those she recognized. She watched as first years huddled together in compartments, alone and afraid as they started their journey at Hogwarts. It seemed as if her first year was a distant memory now, the joy and complete bliss of not knowing too good to be true. She wished for nothing more than to return to when things were less complicated and her mother was still very much alive.

She had managed to travel all the way down the train before she concluded she must have missed them. But before she could realize her mistake, her eyes glanced into the window of the Slytherin area of the train. Her breath caught in her throat as Slytherins eyed her like prey. Her head whipped around to leave, but a tall figure was blocking her path.

"Hello Gaston..." She whispered, stepping to the side to leave, but he stepped in front of her again. She felt like she was suffocating in this dark part of the train, away from her friends and the light.

"Belle, you look nice."

"T-Thank you..."

He titled his head and smiled an irking and devious grin.

"Nervous, are we? No need, we don't bite."

Belle felt a prick of a tear at the back of her eyes, though she wasn't sure what it was from.

"Just let me leave, please."

"Why don't you sit with us, Roux?" Rylen Roulle called from his booth, standing. "We should...catch up."

"I'm wanted somewhere else."

"You're wanted here too, Belle," Gaston stared at her with dark eyes that pierced into the depths of her soul. She felt as if he knew all her secrets by just looking at her, and that thought send uncomfortable chills down her spine.

"I-I..." She felt her breath picking up as Gaston cornered her against the door. Rylen flanked her other side, picking up a strand of her hair and twisting it around his finger. She felt weak, trapped, and overall hopeless. These boys had changed, and whether it was by giving their alliance to You-Know-Who, she didn't know.