Chapter 31

(I  know the pic of Lily and Rose are both Elle Fanning but I really think she resembles both Lily and Rose so let's just pretend they're different people...)

Belle gripped her cloak closer to her chest as she and Lily walked from the carriages to the castle for the welcoming feast. Neither girl had yet to see any of their friends the whole train ride, even thought the two girls searched for them the entire ride. They knew that they'd see their friends at the feast, but not spending the train ride with them was slightly concerning.

    "It's a sign, Belle. I'm telling you this year is going to go horribly wrong." Lily shivered, her teeth chattering. So far all the Evans girl could talk about was omens, and how she could tell when something bad was about to happen. It was starting to really annoy Belle, especially when Lily started saying that because Belle wore a black skirt on the train, she'd fall heartbroken by the end of the year.

    "Lily, we probably just missed them."

    "But what if they missed the train? They could be anywhere right now."

    Belle shook her head.

    "You're saying that all of them—every single one of our friends—missed the train. Maybe James and Sirius, yes, but Eileen would never let her or Rose miss the train and Remus would never let him or Peter miss the train."

    "I guess your right—I'm still worried."

    "When are you not worried?"

    Lily stuck her tongue out at her friend, the two picking up their pace as they neared the doors. The comforting ceilings of the Hogwarts halls were a sight for sore eyes and both the girls shimmied out of their cloaks and handed them to one of the house elves named Kreacher, who was waiting to take them up to their rooms for them.

    Belle had only seen the house elves once. In first year when the 'Gryffindor girls' had decided to have a girls night and taken food from the kitchens back to the dorm. Then she was too young to even realize how hard the elves worked for no pay. Maybe one day they'd get their freedom and maybe even a wage, but she didn't see that happening any time soon.

    "There they are!" Lily exclaimed once their friends came into view. Somehow her friends grew even more in the month since her birthday. Remus was even more lankier, though he wasn't as skinny as he was last year. Peter still had the same perturbing ears and mousy face, but had also grew, now only a tiny bit shorter than Remus. James had developed a more mature body, as did Sirius, though they seemed to grow the least. Rose and Eileen were now inches taller than Belle and Lily, who had both seemed to take the shorter side of the stick, and now looked more like women than any of the girls in Gryffindor.

    "Where on earth were you lot? We looked for you everywhere!" Lily huffed as she took the seat beside Eileen and next to an unknown third year. Belle sat beside Remus, who gave her a wide grin and nodded, making her nod back. As the others got sucked into a debate about where they were on the train, Belle found herself having a side conversation with Remus.

    "Hey," She whispered, nudging his shoulder. She felt like she hadn't talked to him in ages, something she hated. Remus was her best friend, aside from Lily who she thought of as a sister.

    "Hey," He repeated, rolling his eyes. "Still haven't gotten any better with starting conversations, have you?"

    "How rude."

    He quietly laughed, placing his forearms onto the table.

    "How are you?" She asked after his laughter had died down, "Is your mother any better?"

    His brows furrowed for a moment before slackening quickly, "Oh yes! Doing much better, actually. Still sick, but better."   

    "I'm sorry. If there's anything I can do, let me know." She smiled, "I do wish to meet her soon, considering you've met my grandparents and all..."

    "I know, I know—geez, Belle, you've been on about meeting my parents since second year."

    Belle threw her hands up in defense.

    "You're my best friend Remus, it's embarrassing that I haven't met your parents yet."

    The boy rolled his eyes yet again, something he did quite a lot when around Belle.

    "So strange you are..."

     All of the teens quieted down as Dumbledore took the podium, silencing the hall with a wave of his hand. Every student and teacher was all ears at the marvelous man, someone who everyone adored and looked up to. Even though most of the children here would never get to talk to him or face him one-on-one, they all cared for their headmaster deeply.

    His speech was similar to one every other year, but this one had an aura of stress to it. He emphasized safety and not wandering the grounds, especially at night, even going as far to say that there was a possibility of you being locked out. Everyone could tell the recent events was giving every staff member here anxiety and paranoia.

    After Dumbledore finished, he announced dinner and with another wave of his wrinkly hand, plates of delicious food scattered the tables, ready for eating. All of the Gryffindors dug in, Belle opting for turkey and mashed potatoes with a couple bread rolls. Only after they had all filled their plates and begun eating did the conversation commence.

    "Did you hear Dumbledore?" Rose spoke up first, her voice at a level that only our group could hear, "He seemed anxious."

     "Of course he's anxious, with all the disappearances going on I would hate to run a school of obnoxious children." James shook his head, shoving a chip into his mouth.

    "That's ironic coming from you, Potter." Lily drawled.

    James was about to open his mouth to retort but Belle held her hand up, which immediately silenced him.

    "Disappearances?" Peter questioned.   

    "People are going missing," Belle leaned in towards the table, "My Nana says its someone who used to go to Hogwarts."

    "Really? What house?"

    "Most likely Slytherin," Sirius scoffed, "Don't see anyone from Gryffindor betraying us anytime soon."

    "What's this guy want anyways? What's he doing to the people?" Eileen asked.

    "No-one knows. There isn't even proof it's him yet, but everyone sort've assumes...apparently he disappeared for a long time doing who-knows-what and now he's back..."

    "Does anyone know his name?"

    "Tom Riddle—my father went to school with him."

    "Honestly?"

    Belle nodded, a bit uneasy herself. Upon learning her father went to school with the so called Tom Riddle, she felt a sense of dread looming over her. She wasn't sure if that would ever come back to haunt her, but she sure hoped it didn't.

    "I've been telling you guys this school year feels different."

    All the students just gazed at each other quietly, before looking back down at their food. No matter if they didn't want to admit it, this year did feel different. There was something in the air, something that suffocated the safe feeling that Hogwarts almost always ensures. Something that sent chills down each of their spines and through their fingers.

It was a pair of eyes on Belle that made her glance up. She'd never felt so uneasy as when she glanced in his eyes, but the absolute darkness of them made him seem like his soul had been sucked out by Dementors. His face was cold, except for the slimy smirk that made her self-conscious and paranoid. The rest of his face was completely blank and his jaw stiff, the only sign he was alive was his blinking.

    She was staring into the cold eyes of the one and only Max Gaston.

A/N: I MADE IT TO CALLBACKS FOR THE MUSICAL HAIRSPRAY AHH

-Hannah