Chapter 3

"Hogwarts was founded around 990 A.D. by two wizards and two witches: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They each represented an aspect of personality that they wanted to bring out in new students. Gryffindor wanted students to show courage and chivalry. Hufflepuff wanted her students to be loyal, patient, and hard-woking. Ravenclaw wanted her students to be intelligent, have wit, creativity, and wisdom. Slytherin valued ambition, leadership, cunning, and determination. They were four quarters of a whole." Professor McGonagall spoke, her eyes trained on the students in her class.

"I feel like story is gonna go wrong somehow." Belle whispered to Remus, who was assigned her desk partner at the beginning of the year. Sirius, who sat behind them with Eileen leaned forwards.

"I though this was Transfiguration. Why is she bloody teaching us history?" Belle giggled quietly before silencing herself as McGonagall begun to speak again.

"They all lived in harmony until Slytherin had a falling out with the other founders about blood purity. He felt that only pure-blooded students deserved to learn magic, but the other three founders all disagreed, especially Gryffindor. Slytherin left the school, fleeing to somewhere unknown to anyone but his heirs."

"Sounds like a Slytherin." Sirius snickered again, still leaning forward. Both Belle and Remus laughed a soundless laugh, leaning back in their chairs. Attention was drawn from Sirius to Neveah Montague, a kind Ravenclaw who'd Belle spoken to on numerous occasions in classes, who had raised her hand. McGonagall nodded at her.

"Yes, Ms. Montague?"

"Excuse me for asking Professor, but what does this have to with Transfiguration?"

"Fair question, Ms. Montague, but I believe you all should know some information about Hogwarts. Professor Dumbledore advised the staff to start incorporating some history into our lessons, that is all I know."

Neveah nodded, turning back to the textbook in front of her.

"Great, does that mean we'll be hearing this lesson in every bloody class?" Sirius sighed, flicking a piece of Belle's hair. She quickly smacked his hand away, leaning forwards out of his reach. Sirius groaned quietly, but kept a smile on his face.

Sirius had taken a liking to harassing Belle, mostly because she always fought back. She didn't start to whine and cry like all the other girls, such as Eileen, when messed with. Lily and Rosaline wouldn't whine or cry either, they would just get pissed off, while as Belle had a low temper. Remus eyed the two suspiciously, before turning back to the lesson, where McGonagall had actually started teaching the lesson. They were to change a match into a needle.

Once everyone had verbally practiced the spell over and over again without magic, they were aloud to break into pairs and start. Since Lily seemed like she was fine with the Ravenclaw boy, Belle decided to partner with Remus. The two stood across of Sirius and Eileen.

"Well, who wants to go first?" Eileen asked, her eyes darting across everyone individually. No-one wanted to do it and fail.

Sirius stepped up.

"I'll do it." He grinned, pointing his wand at the match. He concentrated for a moment before clearly stating the spell and moving his hand. "Subcinctus." The others broke out laughing when nothing happened.

"Like any of you could do any better." He grumbled, shoving his wand and his hands into his pockets. Belle crinkled her nose, before stepping up. She pointed her wand and moved her hand the same way, saying the spell.

"Subcinctus."

Again, it did nothing. This time Sirius was the only one to laugh. He looked around at his friends who were looking quizzically at the match.