Chapter 42

Lucas Jade Zumann as Max Gaston

"Do I have to go?"

"Of course."

"I don't even know these people!"

"Watch your tongue, child."

"Please, Nan-."

"I've made up my mind, Brielle!"

Belle, in true teenage fashion, rolled her eyes and stomped up the stairs to her room in a fit of disappointing annoyance. Her grandparents, who apparently had too much spare time on their hands, had reconnected with a few of their old friends from school and now expected Belle to become friends with their son over dinner. Normally, Belle would've been open to making new friends, but once she heard the name of said family she instantly grew upset with the idea.

Out of all the families in Britain, it just had to be the Gastons.

It had been a month since she had seen Max Gaston, but the awkward tension between them still stood strong. She couldn't figure out why he acted so strange and if he would act differently now that he knew their families were friends. Maybe he would act exactly the same. Either way, Belle preferably did not want to see him in any condition.

Her summer had been going splendidly; she had managed to complete her summer assignments early and had even begun to play the piano. Though her friends had all lost touch the past two weeks, she knew it was mostly due to the paranoia of their parents regarding You-Know-Who.

"Belle, they're here!"

She let out a very long sigh, trying to put on a happy face for the time being. She could survive a couple hours around the Gaston family, right? After waiting outside the lounge room for a couple minutes, she entered. She first saw Gaston, looking a lot older than when she last saw him. He now stood inches above Belle and resembled a lanky teenage boy more than a child. Next to him was presumably his father and grandparents. He looked almost identical to his father, and his grandparents had the touch of french in their appearances just like her own grandparents.

"Ahh is this Brielle? She looks much like her mother!" Gaston's grandmother had a thick french accent which flowed melodically off of her tongue.

"Yes, yes this is Brielle. A beauty, isn't she?"

Gaston, who had moved closer to Belle, whispered a faint "Quite," before turning and winking at her. A shiver went down her spine as she moved her eyes away from the boy and towards her grandmother. She made sure not to look at Gaston again until dinner, when she unfortunately was placed directly next to him. Gaston did not bother trying to talk to her until both their families were deep into a conversation about mountain trolls.

"Nice to see you again, Belle."

"You as well..."

"Seems our families are very close."