Chapter 23

Belle's eyes were wide as she slowly entered the Great Hall, her stomach nauseous and her nerves twitching to no end. Unfortunately for Belle these feelings had been present since the night before and most likely wouldn't leave her until tomorrow morning.

It was October 31st, 1973.

It was Halloween.

Halloween meant terrible news and destructive tendencies that usually resulted in Belle or someone else getting hurt. Her terrible luck seemed to be given to her when she was born and since then she hasn't been able to escape a bad Hallows Eve. Her first year was full of scares and utensils turning into bats, her second year was the dreadful day of her mother's passing.

Belle missed her mother more than anything and would give everything she had just to see her again, but it didn't hurt anymore to think about her. The day was going to be somber no matter what, but Belle wouldn't let the one year mark of her mother passing let her sink into a depressed state again.

When she approached her seat at the table, all of her friends frowned up at her. None of them knew how to react towards her; they didn't want to accidentally trigger any bad memories.

"Hey Belle," Remus smiled as she sat down. She gave him a shaky grin.

"Nervous?"

She nodded weakly, shoving a piece of toast into her mouth rather ungracefully. She turned her attention elsewhere, her eyes scanning the Great Hall. She wasn't sure what she'd come across or if it was going to affect her in some way, but it was already too quiet. Normally older years would be popping out from behind walls and dropping things on students to try and scare them but it seemed as if everyone was peacefully enjoying their breakfast.

Her eyes then caught onto Aiden who was waving at her from the Ravenclaw table. Belle and Aiden had hung out dozens of times since they had first hung out a few weeks ago. She loved his witty and sarcastic humor and the way he talks about things—and he wasn't that bad to look at either. She was slowly loosing her fascination with Sirius Black and developing heart eyes for the witty blond haired boy.

She waved back at him with a beaming smile on her face.

"You and Aiden have been hanging out quite a bit, haven't you?" Lily whispered across the table, shooting Belle a devious smile. "Lost interest in the other one already?"

'The other one' was the girls' code name for Sirius that Lily had come up with one day. They normally used the code name when they were in class or around Sirius, so if he happened to hear he wouldn't find out that three out of four of the Gryffindor girls liked him.

"Maybe," Belle shrugged, glancing back at Aiden again. Her face flamed red when she saw he was already looking at her. Her head whipped back around when her name was called by Eileen.

"Who are you looking at, Belle?"

"Nothing in particular."

"Are you sure?" She teased, "Because I'm pretty positive you were just looking at Aiden Roulle."

"You're still hanging out with him?" James scoffed, shaking his head as if Belle had committed a crime.

"He's bad news, Belle." Sirius added, "His twin brother is already associating with the Dark Arts, who knows what they could want you for—"

"Oh, and your family is just sunshine and rainbows isn't it?"

"That's different." He growled, shooting daggers at the girl who had a fair point. Just because she was right didn't mean he had to admit it.