(12) Fates and Battles

When My Heart Stops, I'll Give It To You

Pain shopts through my body and I shift slightly. I feel uncomfortable, like someone is staring at me. Where am I...?

"You idiot." Someone snarls. "She's mine, stop staring at her like that."

It's Christopher. I shift again. So someone was staring at me. In such a way that it made Christopher jealous. It gave me unexpected pleasure to hear it in his voice.

Wait. Stop. You hate him. He's nothing to you.

All I could remember was Christopher telling me everything and then...darkness.

"Sorry," the other man grumbled. "That you picked quite a reward for the eyes. She's strikingly beautiful."

I almost gagged. A hand stroked my face but it stopped as fast as it came. "Remember your place. They picked her for me."

Again, I have to hide my reaction to everything. This time, a different hand storked my face. It was gentle and left my face burning with electricity.

I shot up and was rewarded with a blinding light straight in my eyes. I covered them and sighed.

"Beautiful eyes, too." The other man comments softly. My head snaps in his direction and I'm surprised with what I see.

Phillip.

~~~~~

Christopher was glaring at him and suddenly understood why Phillip had took notice of me.

"Hey, Chris, her decision in the end." Phillip smirks.

Christopher scoffed. "She was picked for me, Phillip. Don't you respect then Fates decisions?"

I'm done pretending like I understand what they are talking about. I laugh. "I would never pick you in a thousand years. And I have many years to decide who I "pick", I'm not rushing my life away. And...who are the Fates?"

It's me Christopher glares at this time and Phillip laughs. "Ha! At least I have a chance with her," He turns towards me. "Don't worry, Ness, you'll know once this is all over. No more questions, but I will answer one. The Fates are the people, well, creatures, that pick who you are made for. Then, they cut a strand of the One's hair, example: you. Then, that blocked Chris from you untill he was fully ready." Phillip glances at Christopher. "Though I think he needs to be blocked awhile longer."

"And what happens if I die?" I ask.

Christopher and Phillip glance at each other, sending daggers in each others direction.

"That's the thing you'll learn later, then you'll understand. It's kinda hard to take in-"

"And I'll be the one to tell her in the end." Christopher says, cutting Phillip off.

"We'll see about that." Phillip snaps. He turns towards me and winks. "Gotta go, but trust that you will see me soon."

Looks like this isn't just a battle between me and Christopher. It's battle between Phillip and Christopher.

And it's me that they are fighting over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~