(34) Sneak Out

When My Heart Stops, I'll Give It To You
Chapter 34: Sneak Out

Nessa's P.O.V.

I had exactly ten of my longest shirts laid out across my bed, and quickly I began to the tie the ends of every single one together. Once that was done, I threw it out my open window to see how far it would get me. From what I could tell, it was just about 2 feet away from touching the ground. Luckily, Christopher's room wasn't too far up in levels.
I tied my end of the shirts to one of the legs of the bed, figuring it could take my weight.
Taking a few breaths in, I put one leg over the window, then the next. It didn't matter if my window wasn't too far from the ground, I was still scared. My body was in a crouching position on the brick under the window now, and I knew I'd have to let myself go so that I was completely depending on the tied shirts. I let on leg go, then the other until I was now only hanging from my arms. Having no upper body strength at all, I eventually fell unwillingly, but I was able to grab onto my makeshift rope. Sucking in a deep breath, I pried my eyes open, laughing a little to myself that it held.
I knew I'd have to keep moving fast if it was going to keep holding, though.
Gritting my teeth hard together, I released my legs grip on the shirts and just slid down, my hands keeping me on there. I kept sliding until I felt my back hit the hard ground.
I opened my eyes and stared at the dark sky lit up above me, speckled with only a few stars. I laughed a little to myself again, happy it worked. I just had to get out of there, and now that I was, I felt free. I could finally leave all this behind and try to move on.
"How is it down there?"
I immediately shot up from my comfy spot to see Liam's head poking out from the window. From the smirk on his face he was obviously amused.
"It's better down here than in there." I answered simply, I saluted him then began to walk away.
"No goodbye, babe? I thought we were closer than that." Liam called after me, pouting.
I sighed, wrapping my jacket closer to me and turning around to meet his eyes across the darkness. He was leaning out the door and I realized then he was shirtless and his hair was dropping wet, the drops falling from the window and dropping on the grass in front of me. "Are you naked?" I asked, laughing a little.
"No, do you want me to be?" He wiggled his eyebrows, smirk growing.
"Shut up," I snapped, blushing. Luckily it was too dark for him to notice. "What, did you jump right out of the shower then rush to my room?"
"I was in the shower when Amber started knocking on my door saying she heard something going on in your room." He explained.
"Why didn't she do it herself?" I wondered out loud.
"She thought I'd have more luck with you. It's pretty obvious that we're quite close."
I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see it. "Whatever, Liam. I'm leaving."
"Are you crazy? Christopher made me stay here to protect you so that's what I'm going to do. Don't be stupid." He lectured, rubbing his forehead.
"I don't give a shit about what Christopher wants." Liam looked taken aback from that, so I continued. "I'm done, Liam. I want a life where I don't have to worry about my boyfriend dying or the people I care about life's being threatened. I've had enough of this supernatural shit. Before I was willing to give it all up for Christopher, but with all the lies he's told I'm not even sure who he is anymore." I sucked in a breath to keep from crying and turning away from the window so he wouldn't see me.
"Vanessa," Liam called out. "Just stay there, okay? Please." His voice rattled a little at 'please', causing me to immediately turn around.
"I will."
~~~~
I turned at the sound of the door opening to see Liam running up to me, now fully clothed. As soon as he was close enough, he wrapped his arms around me and I immediately melted into his warm chest, just wanting to be comforted. His wet hair soaked into my coat but I didn't care since I was ruining his shirt with my tears.
"Thanks." He chuckled.
"For what?" I asked, my voice sounding strained.
"Staying."
"Just for now, Liam."
"I know."
We stayed quiet for a moment, still holding tightly onto each other.
" You deserve a normal, happy life. A nice husband who makes a good living for you and your kids in a cozy little cottage."
I grinned at the thought. "Sounds boring." I teased lightly.
"It's incredibly boring. Here's the thing, babe. Chris always wanted you to be happy. He knows he doesn't deserve you. And I know he tried so hard to make this easier for you. But it doesn't get easier," Liam paused, his short, rhythmic breaths hot on my ear. "Chris was selfish. Everyone is. He wanted to have you in his life while he was mortal, even if it meant leaving you in the end. I guess he thought it was worth it."
I stayed quiet so he decided to add some lightness to the mood, "I'm not sure if you realize this, but you're pretty irresistible."
I laughed, smiling. "Sure."
He pulled away from me so he could see my face, his hands still lightly holding onto my shoulders. "There's that smile I love."
"Thanks, Liam. For everything."
He shrugged. "It's nothing. Now shall we go?"
"We?" I frowned disapprovingly.
"Yes, we." He smirked.
"You're not coming with me. You have to stay here with Amber." I insisted.
"Amber can take care of herself just fine. She's a trained fighter. Chris just said protect the 'girls' so you wouldn't feel useless."
I softened a little, thinking for a moment. "Fine."
"Fine," Liam agreed, grinning his beautiful smile. "Let's go."
~~~
w/c: really sorry I was posting it last night and editing it when I just fell asleep lol so here it is
love you guys