(44) In Too Deep

Chapter 44: In Too Deep

Liam's P.O.V.

Why am I still here? I should leave. There's nothing here for me. Christopher hates me and I don't care about the others. I know it's the only safe place, but who even cares?
And yet here I am, still going to this stupid lunch at this stupid place and sitting with stupid people. It's ridiculous. Maybe I just go for the drama.
As I walk into the room, and try my best to hide my surprise at the fact that Nessa is sitting at the table. Lunch was usually my safe zone where my brain was my own and it wasn't taken over by thoughts of her across from me. Why is she coming now? A quick glance at Christopher's satisfied smile answers my question immediately. Of course. He must've begged her. I know her, there's no way she wants to be doing this.
Annoyed, I sit down at my table and sneak a glance at her. She's picking at her eggs with an obvious distaste written all over her face, eyes a vibrant blue and her pink lips standing out against her pale skin.
Finally, Amber asked the question we all we're wondering. "So, I guess I'll have to get used to seeing you three times a day now, huh?"
Nessa's face with flushed with anger as she picked at the napkin in front of her. Before she can respond, Chris speaks up. Of course. Doesn't he realize she's perfectly capable of defending herself?
"Leave her alone, Amber."
"It was a simple question, calm down."
"It wasn't a question, it was a jab at her." Chris snapped back.
"After the things you've said about her, I honestly thought you didn't care." Amber smirked, keeping eye contact with Nessa as if knowing she would hit a nerve. I tensed up at the thought of Chris trash talking her. She has to be lying.
"I don't want to be here, ok? I'm as much stuck here as any of you, at least until this whole thing is over. Which means you're going to have to just put up with me until then." Nessa snapped, getting upfrom her seat. "It was my mistake anyways. I crossed a boundary.
It won't happen again." She jumped up from her seat and stormed out with Christopher quickly following after. I couldn't help but feel furious with Amber.
I stood up from my seat, shooting daggers at her. "You're going to go apologize to her. Now."
Amber eyed me, crossing her arms.
"Are you threatening me?"
I leaned over the table at her, my voice low. "Are you doubting me?" I felt a sick satisfaction at the fear that leaked into her eyes. "Good. Now, go."
She nodded and quickly got up, sprinting over to where Nessa was. I smirked and Chase spoke up for the first time since this entire thing. "Are you ok, Liam?"
"Better than ever." I nodded, shooting him a wink before leaving.
~~~
Nessa's P.O.V.

For the first time in weeks, I approached Liam's door and knocked, feeling undoubtedly nervous. He flung it open, eyes scanning me over and leaving me a little breathless with his half-buttoned shirt revealing a tan, toned chest. He looked strangely bored under the circumstances, his hair a curly mess.
"What brings you here?" He asked, his deep voice a bit slurred.
I cleared my throat, eyeing him suspiciously. "What'd you say to Amber ?"
He smirks and leans against the wall, regarding me with those knowing, sparkling green eyes. "I have no clue what you're talking about, babe."
And there it is. The word that I actually missed coming out of his mouth. It's just the way he drags it out in his hoarse, sleepy voice that gets to me.
"Don't play dumb. I know it was you." I insisted, rolling my eyes.
"Look," He frowned, taking a step closer to me and making me lift my head higher to see him. "why does it matter so much anyways?"
"It does matter. You didn't have to do it, and you did. So, thanks." I said, feeling a bit discouraged now. "I guess that's all I have to say." I started to turn away, but he grabbed my hand and spun me around. I looked up into his eyes, surprised.
Liam shrugs and drops my hand, acting as if that never happened.  "That's the thing though-I did have to do it. She shouldn't get away with that."
"Well, thank you all the same." I smiled, shifting my weight from foot to foot. I want to tell him that I've missed him and that it's been hell here without him. Screw it, I'm just gonna say it. "Liam, I-"
"Shh." He says almost immediately, his pointer finger covering my lips. "You shouldn't. Don't."
He's right, but I say it all the same. "I've missed you."
Liam sighs, running a hand through his hair. "You should go."
My heart hurts a little at the comment, but I push on. "Liam, I care about you. I don't think I can handle not seeing or speaking to you ever. Can't we just....."
"Can't we just what, Nessa?" He asked softly, those dancing green eyes daring me to say whatever.
"I don't know. I don't care. All I know is that I need to see you. At least a little." I can't believe I'm saying all this.
Before I can stop him, he's right in front of me, long fingers grazing my cheek. "Why?"
"Liam," I say softly in a warning tone.
"Why? Why don't you just admit your feelings instead of hiding them?"
"You don't understand."
"Make me."
I take in a deep breath, lifting my eyes to meet his.
A wicked smirk comes upon his face. "Is it because you're scared?" He asked in a deep voice, his eyes teasing me in the worst way possible.
"No." I said hoarsely, my voice giving me away.
A triumphant half smile came across his disarmingly beautiful face. "You are. And it's all because the way I make you feel," Liam tilted his head, enjoying my discomfort.
I let out a breath and didn't even try to hide my shiver. "Is that wrong?"
He smirks again, killing me. "Of course not. It just doesn't make sense."
"Why not?"
"You have one soulmate. You shouldn't feel anything for anyone but him." He looked me up and down, smiling.
"I don't know what to do, Liam." I frowned, taking a step back from him so I could think clearly.
"If I was a bigger person, I'd convince you to stay with Chris. He's better for you."
"But?"
"I want you. I want you every second of every day and I don't think I can continue to pretend like I don't."
***
"I want to go out." I say finally after hours of buttering Christopher up.
"No." He says immediately, not even glancing up at me while he eats his food.
"C'mon, Chris. Don't be so stubborn." Liam smirked, winking at me from over the table.
"I'm not. I just care about her safety, and we all know it's not safe out there." Chris snapped. He's been so cold to Liam, the air between them always tense.
"I'll put on a disguise." I offer up, only half kidding.
Chris snorts. "Like that'll do anything."
"No, no, that might actually work. She could dye her hair and Amber could do her up with some makeup." Chase countered, giving me an encouraging smile. For some reason, he has been incredibly nice to me lately. I'm not sure what changed.
Christopher narrowed his eyes at him. "I'm not putting Ness in danger."
"I can take care of myself fine."
"Maybe so, but not when it comes to the kind of people we're dealing with."
"It's just one night." I snapped, annoyed now. I could tell this was more than just concern over my safety. He didn't trust me. "Look, if you think I'm going to run away again, you have nothing to worry about."
"How can I be sure?"
"You can't. You just have trust me." I insisted, ignoring Amber's snort across from me.
"The cheater asked to be trusted? What kind of bull-"
"Shut up, Amber." Liam grunted.
Christopher's eyes didn't leave me."Where exactly are you wanting to go?"
"A club. I just-I need to let off some steam and clear my head. I feel like it'll be easier for me here if I can just do that. Please." I begged.
"A club?" Christopher asked, obviously not liking the idea. "How about this; you can go, but I'm coming with you."
I paused, considering. "I think I need to do this on my own."
"I think you need someone to make sure nothing goes wrong. Look, it's either me or Chase."
Chase would probably leave me alone and not bother me, but I knew Chris would be hurt if I did that. "Okay, fine."
He grinned and I could tell he had something in mind. "Great. We'll go tomorrow night then."
Liam let out a bitter laugh. "Just great."

w/c: hey look I updated it hasn't been that long I'm really getting better ok 😂 i love you all so much thank you for reading. PLEASE COMMENT. i love reading the comments so so much ❤️