Chapter 17

Sincere Harris

The breeze of the morning blew through my plaits as I walked out to my car, with my jean jacket hugging my upper body. Christmas is indeed four days away, and its tragic that things are beginning to go sideways, but it's nothing new for someone to walk out the door on me. I unlocked the doors to my car, adjusting my body into the driver's seat as Jayceon situated himself in the passenger seat.

"Where do you want to go for breakfast?", I asked, pulling my seatbelt to the buckle, before starting the car.

He shrugged his shoulders in a dull manner, resting his head on the seat. His Bluetooth Beats headphones were wrapped around his neck, which he took the initiative to place over his ears. He soon removed his phone from his pocket, completely drowning me out. I know what I'm doing is wrong, but no one understands how I feel about my little brother. He's a good kid, no doubt, but the bad crowd always find their way to him. He's always around the wrong people, and I know exactly how them niggas he associate with operate.

Allowing a sigh to roll off my tongue, I headed to the nearest Waffle House, deciding on getting something big for breakfast so I can sit and have a talk with him about this attitude he has built with me. Within a matter of a few days, his entire attitude has changed, and I feel guilty about everything. I just want the best for my little brother, mainly to keep him out of harms way.

Once we made it to Waffle House, he removed his headphones and placed his phone into his pocket before climbing out of the passenger seat. His only purpose of coming was to get some food, but little did he know, we weren't leaving here until him and I got back into good terms. I'd go to war over my little brother, and although we bump heads, when push come to shove, he knows we're all we got. Grasping my clutch and phone from the cup holder , I exited the car, locking the doors from my keychain. My hand breezed threw my plaits, pushing them out of my face as my new, fresh out the box golden pumas graced the concrete and grass.

We made our way inside of Waffle House, where we were seated and given menus by one of the waitresses

We made our way inside of Waffle House, where we were seated and given menus by one of the waitresses. She placed two straws onto the table, along with some utensils before leaving us to deliberate on our drink and meal orders. I placed my phone and clutch onto the table, situating myself into the seat as Jayceon sat, peering down at the menu. I reached my hand across the table and grabbed his, looking at him with a pair of very sincere eyes. I just needed him to tear down the wall and talk to me, so we can get past this little altercation.

"Jayceon.", I mumbled his name, continuing to look into his very distinct eye color. That's one thing my siblings took after my father that I didn't, they both had a distinct eye color, meanwhile, I was left with the eyes of the devil herself. The one who left us here.

"Yes Sincere?", he titled his head to the side in a questioning manner, clearly agitated by my antics of making him talk to me.