Prologue

Prologue

"Oh no don't pour the oil like-" Mrs. Byrne, our housekeeper shouted from the entrance of the kitchen but it was too late as the oil hit the hot pan, sizzling as I watched the fumes go up in the air.

James, my eight year old brother, who was sitting a feet away from the stove on the counter, started coughing. His tiny hands balled up into fist as he coughed into them. Okay, they're not that tiny anymore.

I fetched a glass of water from the counter and lifted it up to his lips. He drank hungrily, some water dripping down from drinking so fast. I ran my fingers through his soft brown locks as his breathing became normal and Mrs. Byrne took the glass from my hands.

"Are you okay Jimmy?" I asked and he nodded his little head. I sighed in relief and turned to Mrs. Byrne. "I'm sorry. Jimmy really wanted something to eat,"

"You should have called me Scarlet. Knowing that you can't cook, why do you even try?" She scolded.

I scratched the back of my neck and shrugged. "You know I can't say no to him,"

At this, Jimmy grinned at me.

"Okay. Next time," She turned to him. "Just tell me to cook for you whenever you are hungry,"

"I wasn't really hungry Mrs. Byrne. I just wanted to watch her cooking,"

"Really?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yeah. You're funny when you cook," He started laughing and Mrs. Byrne chuckled while I just sulked like a grumpy woman.

Grabbing my brother, I lifted him off the counter and started tickling him, his weight suddenly pulling me down. Man he was heavy!

He jumped out of my grasp without much struggle and I realized how strong he was growing to be. His green eyes sparkled as he stuck his tongue out at me and ran upstairs to his room.

"Careful on the stairs Jimmy," I shouted.

"Not a kid anymore Scar," His voice faded out with distance and after a second, I heard his door being shut. Turning to Mrs. Byrne, I sighed and sat across the counter.

"That kid," She shook her head as she started clearing the mess I had made a while ago.

"No. Mrs. Byrne I'll do it," I started getting up from the stool but she motioned with her hand for me to stop and sit down.

"I've got it. You tell me Scarlet, how was your day?"

"Long day," I muttered as I stifled a yawn and turned to glance at the huge antique clock in the living room. 6 p.m.

"There's so much work in the office and dad just won't let me get involved," I sighed.

"It's your final year at college Scar. Obviosuly he wants you to focus on your studies. Maybe he's gotten the work at office covered," She suggested.

"Not at all. There are hardly any employees left at the company after we failed to provide them their salary. The meeting with the investors is approaching and we don't have enough people to complete the project. I wanna step up to help him. I'm missing my classes, which he obviously doesn't approve of, but it's no big deal. I get the notes from Lily. I just wanna be there for dad but he isn't letting me. Plus I see him everyday and anyone can tell about his worsening health--the dark circles, wrinkles--even Jimmy is concerned about dad," I finished with a sigh as Mrs. Byrne slid a plate of french toast across the counter towards me.

"Thanks," I muttered as I took a bite and devoured it.

"It's okay Scar. He's just looking out for you,"