Different

Chapter Twenty Four - Different

"I don't think you're my best friend anymore," Lily complained over the phone.

I let out a sigh. "I wasn't feeling well. There's nothing more to it."

"You're pregnant, aren't you?"

My eyes grew wide for a moment. "No, Lily. I'm not."

"Then why did you skip college yesterday?"

"I told you I wasn't feeling too well and it was a Friday. So I thought why not have a long weekend."

There was a long silence before she sighed. "I wanna meet you."

"Yeah, I wanna meet you too. There's so much catching up to do."

"Come over."

"Today?"

"Yeah. Is there a problem?"

I thought for a moment. "Nope. I'll be there."

"Oh wait. Can I invite Mark too?"

I raised a brow at no one in particular. "I thought we were catching up."

"Yeah. With him."

I let out a laugh. "Okay. I'm used to being the third wheel anyway."

"You're the best, Scar," She laughed and hung up.

Picking up my phone, I went downstairs to have my breakfast but frowned upon not finding Alec at the dining table already. He usually gets ready before me.

Just then, I heard some shuffling and he appeared at the stairs, bringing a suitcase down with him.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked once he was near me.

"Yeah. I've got a meeting in Boston."

My lips parted for a moment before I blinked. Was he going to leave me alone?

What kind of stupid question is that, Scarlet?

"Oh okay," I muttered.

There was silence between us and it seemed like he wanted to say something. I could almost see his hand twitching around the suitcase handle as he watched me.

Then, he started walking towards the elevators and I found myself following him.

"When are you coming back?" I asked.

He stopped and turned around. "After a day or two. Why?"

I shrugged. "Just wanted to know."

He held my gaze for a moment and then nodded.

I took a discreet step in his direction as he waited for my action. Lifting myself up on my tip toes, I planted a kiss on his cheek and leaned back.

"Have a safe journey," I offered him a smile.

The gleam in his eyes hinted a smile but he pressed his lips into a thin line and nodded again.

He turned around, called the elevators and left. I released a breath and turned to the living room.

Martha and I had chatted for over an hour as she showed me pictures of Mary's fancy dress competition who had dressed up as a doctor.

I couldn't help but go all awe over them. She was just too cute.

After breakfast, I left for Lily's house.

She gaped at me at the front door before pulling me in for a hug.