Another Step

Chapter Three - Another Step

I paced around my room with the business card in my hands. The bold letters saying 'Alec Sinclair' increased my anxiety as I kept glancing at them.

My eyes went to the night stand watch. 7 p.m.

I should have made my mind up. Needing some break, I went downstairs to find James sitting infront of the television eating chips with Mrs. Byrne.

They looked up at me.

"Do you want something Scarlet?" Mrs. Byrne almost got up but I motioned with my hand to make her sit down.

"Nah relax. Just needed water," I said and went into the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. After drinking it heartily, I came back into the living room.

"Where's dad?"

"In his room," James said without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Did he have his lunch?"

"No," Mrs. Byrne shook her head. "I took food to his room in the evening but he said he wanted to be left alone,"

Oh dad! I nodded and decided to go talk to dad. Walking across the hall, I knocked on his door, hearing a come in a second later which could easily be mistaken as a groan.

I opened the door and entered the dark room. For a moment, I couldn't spot him but saw his shadow in the corner, by the bay window. He was seated quietly and staring out at the street.

I walked over to him, his forehead creased with frown lines, a photo frame hugged to his chest. Recognizing it as mom's picture, I stood silently, not knowing what to say. I had never seen him this broken.

"Dad," I called out in a whisper. "Everything will be fine,"

At this, a small smile formed on his face but it was gone sooner than it came replacing itself with a frown again. "That's what I've been telling myself since a long time Scar,"

He sighed. "Well, until now," His tired gaze met mine and seeing him so exhausted and broken, broke something inside my chest.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be a good father," He spoke.

"No!" I took a seat beside him and buried my face in his chest. He embraced me in his arms. "Don't say that. You're the best father and I could never ask for anything more than I already have,"

After a few silent moments, he spoke again. "I wish your mom was here,"

I didn't know I had been crying until I heard him mentioning mom. Soon, I broke into little sobs and he soothed my hair. "Me too," I muttered.

I pulled back, shocked to see tears filling up his eyes. This was the second time I had ever seen him cry. The first time was when mom died and that was it. I never saw him cry after that. He was there for me and Jimmy whenever we needed him. He worked himself off for us. Just to give us a good life.

And now? He was crying over a deal? Over the company? And he thinks he's not a good father? It's just not fair.

"I owe everything to you dad,"

And this might be the time to pay you back.

"I still think there's hope that Sinclair will invest his money in the company," I said out of nowhere and a soft look came across dad's face as he gave me a little nod but I could tell he didn't have any hope left.

I gave him a tight smile and got up. "I need to go,"

Dad nodded and looked out of the window again.