Introduction

Chapter Thirty Three - Introduction

I watched in horror as she raised the baseball bat up in the air.

"Alec," I screamed but it was too late. The bat hit him square in the head.

Everything seemed to have stopped in that exact moment as I watched him fall to the ground and just lay there lifelessly.

I don't know how long I stood there frozen just watching him but when I finally gained my senses back, I ran towards him.

My feet stopped moving when I saw a matte black van pulling up behind him, someone getting out of it and helping the woman in black hood to get Alec into the vehicle.

I ran as fast as I could in my heels but the van was already driving away.

"No," I screamed, tears rolling down my cheeks.

A sharp beam of light flashed into my face, followed by screeching of tyres and I realized that I was standing in the middle of the road.

"Mrs. Sinclair?" I heard a familiar voice and opened my eyes.

"Mr. Roberts?" I ran up to him as he stepped out of his car.

"Are you okay?"

"Please! Please help me."

A look of worry crossed his face. "What's wrong?"

My gaze fell on his car. "I-I need a favour. Please. Can I borrow your car? Please."

"Sure," He immediately held the door open to his fancy car for me. "Anything after you helped me with my auction in Barbados."

"Thank you," I muttered in a hurry while getting into the car and driving away.

The road ahead had no turn and I drove faster, hoping to catch up with the van.

Just then, my phone rang and I picked it up in a hurry. It was Jeremy.

"Scarlet, where are you?"

"Jeremy, they've got Alec. I'm following their car. Call the cops. Track my cell."

"What?" He shouted.

"Yes. Just do what I said," I hung up and increased the speed, focusing on the road.

I wiped my tears away to clear my vision.

Just hold on, Alec. I’m not going to lose you.

My anxiety increased looking at the empty roads. What if I lost their car?

Turning a sharp curve, my ray of hope came back as I spotted the van far ahead. I stepped on the gas and the car picked up speed.

I’m going to save you, Alec.

My phone rang again and I looked down at the contact.

Alec.

Oh God! They took Alec's phone with them, didn't they?

The kidnapper wanted to speak to me?

Chills ran down my spine and I debated if I should pick up or not. What if the kidnapper was calling to warn me to stop following them?

With shaky fingers, I answered the call.

"W-What do you want?" I breathed.

There was a pause.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean, Scarlet?"

My jaw dropped at the voice from the other end. It was Alec.