5. The Devil's Deal

In all her life, nervousness had never consumed her the way it did at that particular moment when she was standing face to face with the very same man who had managed to get on her nerves In a very long time.

All she wished for was for the ground to open up and swallow her. She could only imagine how flushed her face would have been if all the blood hadn't drained from it.

And the devilish man was still grinning at her. Much like the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland. For some reason, that story always scared her especially the cat and now she was simply terrified of it.

"Ms. Whistledown?" Amelia asked in confusion. "From the tv series?"

Ella couldn't move having been frozen to the spot, she could only pray that somewhere in the heavens her grandma was watching her and begging the big guy to have a little mercy on her only grandchild.

Mrs. Vazquez shook her head. "No this is Annabella Hart the PA your father insisted I get for you. And to the best of my ability, I have done so. She fits all the requirements, impressive score sheet, and she's absolutely capable."

Ella would have smiled if not for her entire system refusing to work.

Pretty man -apparently Kaiden Blaq- tucked a hand in his pocket and undid his jacket button with the other. He grabbed a file from the table and examined it. After leaving them all in suspense, he lifted his gaze to the three women who were desperate to hear his next words.

"We'll just have to see how capable, won't we?" He smirked suggestively like there was something he knew that none of them didn't.

Ella's heartbeat skyrocketed. What was that supposed to mean?

Mrs. Vazquez sighed deeply. "Well," she left Ella's side and grabbed a suitcase on the desk. "I've done my part, I'm afraid I've stayed around your..." she stopped and gave him a strained smile. "warmth for a substantial amount of time. And now I have to go back to London."

Kaiden, still smirking looked at her. "We wouldn't want the whole branch to go to flames without you."

Mrs. Vazquez smiled genuinely this time. "Exactly." She faced Ella. "It was lovely meeting you, Ms. Hart, I wish I could stay for much longer and help you settle in but Kaiden is right. The whole branch would go to flames if I'm not there immediately." She patted her on the back, leaned closer, and smiled. "Between me and you, I think you can handle him very well." She whispered conspiringly. After she made sure Ella understood her meaning, she turned around and walked towards the door. "Be gentle, Kaiden, wouldn't want a lawsuit on our hands." She stopped at the door and turned slightly. "Again."

After that, she and Amelia left the room, the latter offering a thumbs up before she left.

Silence resonated in the room. Her heart was racing wildly, she was mere seconds away from taking off never to return.

She could feel his eyes on her, he scanned her, and his gaze left the hair on her neck rising. He wanted to say something. She could sense it. But he was very comfortable making her uncomfortable. But she was stronger than that, and she wouldn't stand around like a pig waiting to be slaughtered.

Determined and fueled by unknown courage she faced him only for the words to die on her lips.

Was it legal for someone to look that good?

True enough, his intense gaze was fixed solely on her, not even wavering in the slightest when she faced him.

He still had a hand in his pocket but the other rested on the table while he watched, not stare, but watched her.