20. July 4th

This chapter is unedited and at the end of it appeared to be too long so it's been divided in two.

...

For the thousandth time in the last two hours, Ella resisted the urge to scream.

Her resolve was thinning, yet she couldn't say or react badly, after all Alex was only helping her, although torture seemed like the appropriate word to Ella as Alex brushed her lashes again, barely missing stabbing her in the eyes.

All these prodding and stabbing better be worth, was all Ella could think.

It had been four days since the incident at the office. Four days since Ella had seen Kaiden, and Four days since their car ride she couldn't recall.

No matter how hard she tried, all she got were snippets of their conversation, him apologizing about his attitude towards her since they met, and of course, her call him an egotistical dick.

Yes, she remembered that embarrassing moment and it had plagued her for the past four days.

All Alex could tell her was she'd been escorted upstairs by a burly white-haired man who definitely wasn't Kaiden and had been instructed to stay home for four days, since the office party was coming up during the weekend and there wouldn't be much to do.

So, she'd obeyed. She'd stayed home, pondering how she'd face him after making such a fool of herself.

The last thing she wanted to do was go to a party where she was sure to run into him, but her co-workers from the development team and engineering team had called in to check up on her and make sure she was coming for the party. And Ella couldn't let them down. She couldn't help it; she was a people pleaser.

Which was also one of the reasons she hadn't refused Alex's plea to dress her up. And in so doing had subjected herself to hours of endless torture.

She already had her dress on, but she'd yet to see her how she looked in it since Alex had insisted she only looks at her reflection when she's fully prepared.

Well, she couldn't see her reflection, but Ella knew she looked good in the dress. It'd belonged to Alex, and she'd only worn it once for an award show. But with Ella's curves, the dress clung onto her midriff, and hips like a second skin, then flaring out in soft waves form her hips to the floor. The silver metallic like fabric shimmered every time it moved catching any light in the room and reflecting it.

It had two very tiny spaghetti straps, starting from her upper-chest and ending in a cowl at her lower back. It was a deep V-neck ending two inches above her cleavage that normally she would cringe at wearing, but it had been a while since she felt... beautiful. And she knew despite all the prodding and pinching, when Alex was done, her own sight would take her breath away.

With one final brush on her face, Alex stepped away and smiled brightly, her eyes looking a little teary. She clutched her cheeks. "Wow, Els..." She paused alarming Ella a bit, then she turned her chair towards the mirror and Ella gasped. "you're breath-taking."

For what seemed like hours, all she could do was stare at the person in the mirror and wonder if that was really her reflection.

Her long black curls had been perfectly oiled and curled in soft waves reminding her of women from the 80's. Seeing as that was the theme for the office party, Alex had hit the nail right on the head. She stood up, and gasped a little as the soft fabric swayed enchantingly with every move she made. She turned around, seeing her dark curls stop just above the cowl at the back so as not to expose her too much.

And finally, her makeup. She'd told Alex she didn't want much work done her face, and was glad to see she had followed her request. It was light, and exactly her skin tone, with the only outstanding thing being her eyes and lips.

Her natural long lashes had been brushed and layered with enough mascara to make it stand out. Her darkened lashes giving her blue eyes a certain glow. And her lips, a dim red color that stood out on her pale face and illuminated her example as the only pop of color.

She turned away from the mirror and embraced Alex. "You really are a goddess with a makeup kit, Alex."

Brushing away a stray tear, she replied, voice cracking a little with her emotions. "I know."

Ella looked at her reflection in the mirror again and smiled. The last time she'd looked like this, she'd been so happy, unfortunately the night had ended badly for her.

She shook the thoughts away and smiled. Things had changed, she had changed. And tonight, would be different.

Alex handed her a matching clutch. "You're ready."

To say whoever had done the interior décor had done well will be an understatement. Ella felt transported to the 1900s with the crystalline chandeliers and bright lights illuminating the golden chairs.

Two long tables stretched from one end of the room to the other, both facing each other, with the middle floor left free of obstacles so as to enable people move freely. Said middle floor was filled with colleagues in vintage looks mingling.

The sight made Ella laugh. So this is what it felt like to go to a party in the 1900s.

As she looked around for familiar faces she spotted Mimi and Sun-hi at the food table, smiling as the pair seemed to be bickering over the other's choice of food. Gathering the skirts of her dress in her hand she made her way towards them.

"How can you have chocolate when you know I'm on a diet." Sun-hi grumbled backing Ella. Mimi rolled her eyes. "You don't need to diet, I told you, you look perfect."

A scoff came from Sun-hi. "That's easy for you to say, you have amazing metabolism. You probably won't gain a dime if you had all the chocolate in the world."

Again Mimi rolled her eyes and looked ready to reply before she spotted Ella and a look of confusion crossed her face, it was gone quickly then her eyes widened in surprise. "Ella?"

...

Five very much anticipated chapters. Hope this is oaky for now :) Updates will continue on Sundays except I'm unable to.

This book is still available on webnovel and already has 10 advanced chapters, follow the link, some chapters are free.

Type link in your URL to read this chapter

https://www.webnovel.com/book/wanting-ella_19980755605190405

P.S: Next chapter gets really... 🥵