38. Pretty Woman

She was awake when the alarm went off, and she let it ring for some time before turning it off, groaning as she rolled on her back.

Of course, she hadn't slept. How could she sleep, not after what happened last night? Her mind was running in circles bringing up Kaiden's words over and over again.

At least to say, that was unexpected. She'd never pictured him as the type to so easily display his feelings, but he had said he would never shy away from them. So she'd stayed up all night, her mind refusing to sleep and her thoughts racing.

Sighing she sat up and grabbed her phone as she stepped into the flip-flops and went to the bathroom, hoping a bath would help clear up her mind a little.

Thirty minutes in the warm water of the tub, Kaiden's words occupied her mind like he was floating around her ear repeating every word.

She searched her luggage for an outfit, something appropriate enough to meet the General, finally settling on a pale pink chiffon blouse and white office pants. She packed her hair in a simple bun, applied her usual layer of lip-gloss and mascara, and counted to ten... ten times before she opened the door and stepped out.

A maid in the hotel uniform greeted her and she looked around in search of him when his door opened. She whirled around, almost giving herself whiplash as she turned to him. Dressed in a dark grey suit, and black tie, his hair perfectly gelled in its usual style, he had his phone pressed to his ear as he exited the room.

"Thank you, Nat, I'll see you in California." He ended the call, nodding politely at the maid before his eyes rested on her. He tensed for a second then put his phone into his pocket before walking towards her, her heartbeat accelerating with every step he took. He stopped a few inches in front of her and nodded in greeting. "Shall we?"

Back to the cold treatment. She held in her sigh, nodded, and went to the elevator, Kaiden following close behind.

They were both silent during the ride, and the lift stopped twice to pick up people, and somewhere along the way, they were pressed up against each other, Kaiden's tall frame standing in front of her as the lift quickly filled.

Finally at their destination, which happened to be a dining hall situated in the center of the hotel with water fountains and even more statues adding an ethereal feel to it. Wide-eyed she stared as Kaiden led her toward their appointment.

"The general is quite..." He paused and Ella looked up at him seeing him frown as he searched for a word to say. "forward. He's been my father's friend for a long time, so he's family." He glanced briefly at her. "I apologize on his behalf for anything... forward, he says to you."

She nodded and looked ahead of her, curiosity piqued as she waited to meet the person who made Kaiden so nervous.

As they passed by tables of people, she spotted a vacant one, with just one man sitting with his back turned to them. Kaiden's hands went up to his tie he straightened it just as they reached the table.

"Uncle."

The gray head man turned to them, his stern expression easing into a bright grin when he saw Kaiden. Dressed in full uniform, with about twenty badges on his chest, he got up and to her surprise, engulfed Kaiden in a hug.

General Louis Brown was in his early sixties but looked like he was in his late forties. His dark skin seemed to glow anytime he smiled. When Ella thought about it, the man looked like he had never frowned in his entire life.

He pulled away, standing almost at Kaiden's height with an impressive build for someone his age. He clapped Kaiden's shoulder laughing heartily. "Kaiden, boy!"