12. Immune

True enough, Alex was more than excited about the party and had already started making plans in her head regardless of the fact it was still two weeks away.

She'd spent two weeks at the company and every moment felt exhilarating and thrilling.

Regardless of the fact she worked more closely with Kaiden on more occasions than she'd like.

Seemed he had finally set up everything he wanted to since he had started his actual roles as a chairman, attending various meetings and luncheon invites. Some of those places Ella was obligated to go with him.

She'd watched him in his element, commanding the attention of everyone around him with his broody yet confident persona and of course the fat dollar sign floating on his head was had to miss by the designer suits he always wore.

Finally settling into her role as his P.A she found herself getting more immune to his devilish looks and alluring ways. And in the past few days she couldn't shake the feeling that his intense stare only became more... intense. Everytime she thought about it though an image of a flustered and highly sexed-up Alessia popped into her mind and the feeling diminished to nothing.

On the bright side of things, she'd gotten closer to the rest of the employees, spending more lunch breaks together unless Kaiden required her assistance and kept her away from the only chance she had to be away from him.

In the past few days she'd felt her insecurities melt away giving life to the Ella she once was, and Alex's disapproving looks at her work attire was getting uncomfortable. Moreover she noticed the way other employees dressed. Never too formal, except for the head of H.R and the receptionist

So over the weekend she'd done a little shopping. Her attention on suitpants, t-shirts, sneakers, more lively skirts and a good deal on jeans.

Today was the long awaited and dreaded board meeting. Dreaded because she noticed Kaiden's unease about it everytime the topic came up. He'd spent the better part of his time and energy working to ensure everything was well in the company before the day arrived. He tried to keep a calm facadé, but she saw right through him as he lectured her on every board member and the amount of shares they had.

From what I understood, his father was one of the members, although retired he still held a substantial amount of shares under his control and was still a major decision maker.

Laying out her outfit, she looked at her reflection. She'd gone a little out of her shell today. Applying a light shade of mascara, even a little concealer under the eye bags she'd gotten from sleepless nights working, and her favorite shade of cherry red lip balm. She looked... okay. Not beautiful but, different, and paired with the professional outfit she'd chosen specifically for this meeting, she knew she'd look every bit the personal assistant to a chairman.

She slipped on the plain white Tee which she'd paired with dark colored pants and a matching blazer. For her hair, she had it pinned to the side, letting the heavy mass cascade down her curves in lush waves. She was in dire need of a haircut and made another mental note to get one. Before the party.

Grabbing her purse and laptop case she rushed out of the house passing Alex's sleeping form on the couch.

In less than thirty minutes she found herself in the elevator heading to the office. She noticed the different vibe in the company as everyone appeared more professionally dressed than normal.

Seemed like the board meeting was more than a big deal.

The elevator doors opened and she stepped out her eyes zoning in on the open door of Kaiden's office.

Odd. He never left that widely open.

Counting her steps and calming her breathing she made her way to the door, peeked in and found no one insight, so she knocked and waited until she heard a slightly muffled reply come from inside.

Tentatively, she walked in shocked at the mess his desk was in. Papers were strewn in all corners, some on the floor, and his briefcase widely open.

"Mr. Blaq?" She called out.

"Back here."

The answer had come from behind the large bookcase in the left corner of the room. She'd never gotten that far. Shaking away the insecurities she proceeded to the direction and looked behind the case to see a different more space than she'd thought. It looked like a lounge area complete with a couch, coffee table and a treadmill.

"Ella." She jumped slightly at the sound of his voice and turned to face Kaiden. He had his attention on a large book he held open with both hands. "You're punctual. Good to know you're understand the importance of today."

She withheld an eyeroll as he moved past her back to the normal office still holding the book. He was dressed as usual, in a suit sans the tie and the jacket. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbows exposing the muscular, veiny and oh so powerful hands he had. Mustering her inner strength she averted her gaze settling it on his face and instantly regretted it.

His face was screwed up in concentration, obviously immersed in the book. She craned her neck to check the title of the book but failed. The two buttons of his shirt was undone giving her a peek of his chest.

Immune, Ella. Immune. She kept on repeating in her head.

It was becoming a difficult task with how irresistible he was. And those damned glasses. One of these days she was going to hide them far far away where they'd seize to torment her.

"Did you memorize the information?" She blinked out of her thoughts and answered him briskly which he nodded to.

"It's important you remember them, Ella." She closed her eyes at the sound of her name leaving his mouth. He said it with so much... sensuality she almost swooned.

Immune, Ella. Immune.

"The people coming today are not out friends, think of them as jurors dissecting our work trying to find fault and also prove what they are all thinking, that I am too young and incompetent for this job."

So that was why he was so on edge. Sure he was young to be a chairman, but just two weeks with him, and she had no doubt that he was perfect for the job.

"Do you underst-" he paused finally looking away from his book as his gaze rested on her. Ella watched with dread as his eyes scanned her from head to toe and then back. Comically, his gaze intense as always appraised her features, as he took in every detail and she saw his jaw clench just before he made eye contact with her. She saw something flash in his eyes, but she blinked and it was gone.

He moved away from her with his fists clenched at his sides as he closed his eyes and muttered lowly Ella couldn't understand what he was saying.

Confused she reached for him, out of instinct and saw him flinch as he took measured breaths.

"Are you okay?" She asked trying to masked her hurt at his reaction to her touch.

Kaiden ignored her question and took of his glasses, rubbing his eyes before resting his weight on the desk.

"Annabella..." A shiver ran down her spine and warmth settled at her lower belly. She bit her lips. Kaiden, kept his eyes away from her and reached for his tie which was resting neatly alongside his blazer on his chairm "you," he continued tugging on his tie in frustrated moves. "are you trying to..." He stopped so did his assault on the tie and took a deep breath.

Ella waited with hated breath for his next words. Everything with this man seemed to be a rollercoaster. From one plunge to an extreme high, then a much expected yet devastating drop.

He let out another shaky breath and faced her, his facial expression back to his impassive mask. He must be a great poker player.

Silence reigned for what seemed like years before the pinging of her phone alerted her. She pulled it out to see a text from the Andy. Apparently the board members had arrived.

Kaiden opened his mouth to speak but she quickly interrupted with the news. A grim look settled on his face and he finished with his tie and slipped on his blazer.

"Well then, let the show begin."