Chapter Ten : Toys

"Did you hear?" Gemma asked me on the way to practice. The game was in two days and I pushed myself more than I had ever before. I even took it upon myself to practice before school and during lunch.

"What now?" I asked, ready to hear another ridiculous rumour come from her mouth.

"Dakota has a girlfriend."
"What?"

"He didn't tell you? I thought you would've known."

"No he didn't tell me." I said through gritted teeth.

I stormed through the gym and into the change rooms, putting on my gear in a hurry. It's been a while since him and I have had time to hang out but why wasn't I the first person to know he had a girlfriend. I am his best friend after all and I have to hear it from Gemma?

"Hey." Dakota said as I was putting on my jersey. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, ignoring him, not entirely sure as to why I was so angry with him. I grabbed my helmet and shoved my way past, walking out of the locker room.

"You all know the drill." Coach blew his whistle, not bothering to go on his usual tirade of conspiracy theories about the upcoming opponents.

"Why are you so quiet?" Dakota asked, pretending to practice with me.

"Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?" I asked not looking at him. I don't know what I'd do if I did.

"I have to tell you everything?"

I scoffed and walked away from him, leaving practice without my duffel bag.

"De Angelis, where are you going?" Coach yelled after me. I continued to walk, wanting to get away from Dakota, from him, from the world.

I climbed in through my bedroom window, I didn't want to deal with my mom asking me a million questions of why I wasn't at practice. I didn't bother changing out of my uniform as I threw myself on my bed.

Dakota has a girlfriend.

I chuckled at myself. Why am I so mad about it? I shouldn't be, after all we are only friends. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I heard a tap at the window, expecting it to be Dakota demanding why I left practice, but instead it was Gemma.

"What are you doing here? And how do you know where I live?"

"We were supposed to hang out after practice and you kinda left me there so I followed you." Gemma smiled at me and tried to climb in my bedroom.

"No, no. No girls allowed unless my mom knows." I blocked her from getting in.

"Do you do everything your mom says? Do you know what I say? Come to Jane's party tonight."

"I have a game in two days Gemma."
"Exactly, you'll have plenty of time to recover tomorrow." I pondered over it for a moment.

"Queenie won't be there." She smirked.

"Lets go."

I knew it was a bad idea to go, but I felt like if I didn't I'd only be sitting in my room in self pity. Wondering why Dakota hadn't told me about his girlfriend and wondering why I cared so much about it in the first place.