Chapter Twenty Five : Over

A/N I may change some scenes in this chapter later on, I'm not fully satisfied with it. It's short but I wanted to update :)

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and a pillow stained with blood. My face ached as I sat up, rubbing my eyes. Already dreading the thought of leaving the solstice that was my bedroom.

I walked to the bathroom, grabbing some clothes on the way and hopped in the shower, making the water as hot as I could stand it. I could feel my muscles relax against the warmth of the water as I closed my eyes.

I dried myself off, changing into a plain white tee shirt and black jeans. I looked at myself in the mirror, my cheek was puffy and purple, along with a small cut on my bottom lip. He really did a number on me.

My stomach grumbled, panging with hunger. I gathered my courage and opened the door, venturing out into the kitchen in search of food like some animal, keeping an eye out for predators.

"I was wondering when you'd get up." My dad said behind me, emerging from the living room, making me jump. I was surprised to see him home during the day with the amount of work he's always complaining about.

He motioned for me to come to him and I followed, walking into the living room only to find Dakota sitting on the couch with not a scratch or bruise in sight. A pounding hangover maybe but nothing physically wrong with him.

I immediately wanted to tail back to my room, seeing him reminded me of last night and it only filled me with anger. Seeing him so close to Eva, I couldn't remember the last time I snapped like that.

"Have a seat."

I listened to my dads every word, even when every inch of me wanted nothing to do with Dakota.

"Why the fighting? You two are friends."

It was silent in the room with neither of us wanting to speak up. I couldn't tell him the real reason we fought. It would shatter my mom, knowing her she'd turn it against me and it would somehow be my fault.

"I know I can't stop you both from drinking but don't be idiots and drink right across the house."

I glanced at Dakota, who was already looking in my direction. I averted my eyes, avoiding his gaze.

"Your parents will be back shortly to pick you up." My dad said to Dakota, standing up and patting him on the shoulder before walking away, leaving just the two of us in the living room.

We sat in silence once again, avoiding each others stare. I was afraid that if I spoke, I'd say something I would regret.

"I'm sorry." Dakota said, breaking the silence.

"You just expect me to forgive you?"
"It didn't meant anything."

I hesitated for a moment before speaking.

"This isn't going to work."

"Don't say that." Dakota stood up, walking over to sit beside me. He grabbed my hand, gazing into my eyes, pleadingly and for a second I thought maybe I was being too rash. But the memory of seeing Dakota and Eva together flashed before me, and I shook my head, moving away from him.

"I'm sorry."
"Don't do this, please." He grabbed my hand again with a firm grip, looking like he'd cry at any moment. It hurt to see him that way, making me want to give in to him like the many times before. It would only take one look, the look he always gave me to forgive him and I'd forget I was ever mad in the first place. But this time it's different, because we weren't just friends now.

I opened my mouth to speak, having no idea what I'd say but the ring of the doorbell cut me off. Without a word I stood up and opened the door. Mr.Moreau looked furious, and it was the first time I'd ever seen him so mad. Dakota immediately walked over to us and with one last pleading look of tear filled eyes, I closed the door.

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding in and could feel the lump in my throat as I sunk down into the couch. I rubbed the bridge of my nose, holding back anything that might come pouring out. I could feel my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach as I recalled the look in Dakota's eyes before he left.

I looked up to find my mom, walking into the kitchen. I waited for her to say something, some snide remark about how she's glad I'm out of his life because he was such a saint and I was the devil but she didn't. She glanced over at me and we exchanged a long silent stare, a comfortable silence that gave me some sense of hope for the two of us. But that couldn't stop my mind from wandering off and thinking of Dakota. Where does this leave our friendship?

A/N vote, comment and tell me what you think!