Chapter Forty : The Worst That Could Happen

"Who are you going to the dance with hun?" My mom asked as she looked up from her paper. I sat at the table with bowl of cereal in one hand and a fluffy slipper in the other before speaking. Why was I holding a slipper?

"Uh.." I opened, hesitating for a moment before finally spitting the words out.

"Dakota." I mumbled, avoiding her eyes.

"What?" She looked at me, dumbfounded.

"I'm going with Dakota."
"Don't be silly, hun." She chuckled.

"Dakota and I.. we're dating." I said with a quiver in my voice.

"Excuse me?"

"We're.. boyfriends mom." I said as I finally gathered the courage to meet her gaze. Her brows were scrunched into a frown and her face was fuming red. It was the worst possible reaction imaginable and I felt like rewinding the situation, wishing I had kept my mouth shut and made up a lie instead.

"No." She said in disbelief.
"No son of mine is going to be.. that." She said with a tone of disgust in her voice.

"Mom." I pleaded as I felt my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach after hearing her say those words.

"Get out of my house!" She said as she pointed to the front door with a long slender finger.

"Mom, no." I said with a stinging in my eyes. Was this really happening?

"Get out!" She yelled, her voice was malicious and her eyes were dark as she slammed her fists on the table.

I sat in my chair, immobile as I sobbed into my hands uncontrollably. My tears ran down my cheeks freely and my heart felt like it had broken into a million pieces. Her voice pierced me like shards of cold ice as she yelled into my ear.

"Luka!" I could hear a voice in the distance but I couldn't see the person. It was then that I realized my body was shaking and completely out of my control. It was my mom's voice- and as I stared at my surroundings, they began to disappear. What was happening?

"Luka, wake up."

I opened my eyes as streaks of hot tears ran down my face and I struggled to catch my breath. A dream, it was only a dream.

"Luka, what's wrong?" My mom asked, her expression as worried as ever as she scrunched her brows together in confusion. For a moment I stared at her in silence, taking comfort in the fact that it was a dream. I'd never seen her so worried before and it made me feel.. different.

"Bad dream." I managed to spit out as I groaned, grogginess lingered as I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Oh, hun." She said before pulling me into a tight embrace.

"You were crying so hard, I was worried." She said as she ran a hand through my hair.

"Uh.." I muttered, unable to say anything else. I didn't know how to react. Our relationship was- less that normal is one way of putting it. But you all know that.

"What was the dream about?" She asked as her hold around me loosened.

"I don't remember." I lied through my teeth as a ache started in my chest. But I did remember and the very thought of my mom seeing me as something disgusting, hurt me more than I thought it would. I wondered, would she be the same in reality if I made the decision to tell her the truth about Dakota and I.

"I wanted to talk to you today."
"About what?" I asked as I looked up to meet her gaze.

"The dance." She said with a solemn look in her eyes that made me nervous. Was I psychic? Would my dream become a reality?