Chapter Twenty : Wild

"Called it." Jane smirked at me with a cocky look in her eyes as she walked up to Dakota and I during lunch. When word gets out that the quarterback and co-captain of the football team are a couple, it spreads like wild fire.

Part of me already had a feeling that Jane knew long ago. Like I had said, her instincts were killer.

This morning was a nightmare. People I didn't even know were pointing at Dakota and I as we walked to first period, whispering back and forth. He told me to ignore it but I could see through him and it bothered him just as much as it bothered me.

"I can't believe this!" Gemma squealed, nearly deafening me with her high pitched voice as she sat beside me on the bleachers. I couldn't tell if she was angry or upset from the solemn expression on her face. She looked stunned for words.

"Believe it." Dakota said before shoving a handful of chips in his mouth and winking at me.

I only shrugged with a half hearted grin, mostly because I didn't know what to say. Dakota was playing it off as nothing on the outside but I know that on the inside, he wasn't as brave as he seemed.

I'll admit to myself that I was pretending too. I didn't want anyone knowing I was afraid because being afraid was a sign of weakness. A weakness that someone could use against me and I did not want that happening. So even though I was afraid, I had to put on a brave face and told myself I wouldn't let anyone give me or Dakota a hard time about this. Thankfully we hadn't run into Eva yet. Seeing Alex and Queenie was inevitable due to obvious reasons.

"I just can't believe this." Gemma muttered, more to herself. I gave her an apologetic smile and patted her back.

"Why do so many people care anyway?" Dakota rolled his eyes, getting irritated. The bell rang ending lunch break, and I was thankful it went off went it did. The awkward tension between the four of us was suffocating. It wasn't as if Gemma and I were a thing but she liked me. The night of her party, she looked hurt when Dakota blabbed about us to everyone. There's probably a million things she wanted to say to me but it wouldn't have mattered, because we never dated. It was the harsh truth.

I dreaded the thought of practice, hoping what Alex said wouldn't be true. Coach is crazy but kicking us off the team? I just can't imagine it. If he was open to aliens, he had to be open to two guys being together. Especially when one of those guys was the best player on the team and he assigned me as co-captain. I mean, there had to be a reason for that.

"Alright ladies, game night in one week. Let's show those bastar-"

"Coach." Dakota interrupted him before he could finish his sentence.

"Alright, alright." He blew his whistle and we began the drills. I silently thanked Dakota for cutting him off when he did, if he hadn't he would of went on and on about the opponents, then it would turn into some conspiracy theory that made no sense.

"I wonder if coach knows." I said to Dakota, glancing over at him from across the field.

"Well if he does, he sure doesn't care." Dakota said and shrugged as we continued to stare at him. He was endlessly muttering to himself, probably something to do with the aliens, the end of the world, god knows what. I wasn't ready for what felt like everyone, to know about us. But it was out and there was nothing I could do about it except to pretend I was okay with it. Dakota tackled me, catching me off guard as we went reeling to the ground, pinning me down. I chuckled and shoved him off.