Chapter Twenty Six : New Kid On The Block

"Are you okay?" Gemma asked as we were on our way to the class we shared and it felt like the millionth time hearing that same question.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I faked a smile hoping it was convincingC so she would stop asking if I was okay. I didn't want any one feeling sorry for me. It wouldn't have made me feel better receiving anyone's pity so I continued to pretend that this was just another fight Dakota and I were having, like all the other times and eventually at some point, we would start talking again.

"You don't look fine."

"I am." I said to her as I sat down. I was fine other than the fact that I was grounded, unable to do anything except school and football practice.

"Alright, listen up. This here your new team mate, Michael Carina. It's a little late into the season but he comes highly recommended so take it easy on him boys." Coach said as he had me and the other football players huddled together. With the sound of his whistle we started the drills, and I began working alone, watching Dakota from across the field, keeping my distance.

I hadn't spoken to him since yesterday but part of me wanted to walk up to him and apologize even if it wasn't me who did anything wrong. It was starting to become clear that I always felt the need to apologize, when it was him that needed to be forgiven, not me. It was a bad habit that I needed to get rid of.

"You're Luka, right?" Michael asked as he walked up to me.

"Yeah." I nodded, arching my brow at his familiar face.

"Mind showing me a thing or two?" He grinned.

"Sure."

As we practiced I realized he was the boy that pulled Dakota and I apart the night we fought. He was from one of the big cities, and had family ties with coach. I didn't bother asking if he knew why coach was so out of whack some days, I don't think anyone knew why. We practiced together until the end, finding myself stealing glances at Dakota, wondering if he was looking my way. But he never was, at least not when I was.

"See you tomorrow?" Michael asked with rosy cheeks and a grin, and for a moment his eyes were similar to Dakota's. For a second I was taken aback, lost in his gaze. I shook my head, bringing myself back to the conversation.

"Yeah, of course." I smiled back, swinging my duffel bag over my shoulder. I watched him walk across the field and into the parking lot.

"Who was that?" I turned around to find Dakota standing behind me with crossed arms.

"No one." I muttered, walking away.

"You two look pretty close already."

"So did you and Eva the night of the party." I continued walking without looking at him.

"I only did that because I thought you a Gemma-"

"Gemma and I are friends, I've told you that. She was drunk, I wasn't going to just leave her there."

"I'm sorry, okay? I can't control this, whatever it is. When I seen you with her, like that, I lost it." He grabbed me by my arm, turning me around with tear filled eyes.

"Please Luka, I need you."

I could feel my eyes welling up, a lump forming in my throat at the sight of him. I wanted to give in, to touch him and tell him I forgive him. The desperation in his voice was toxic, like some spell that wanted me to fall under.