Chapter Fifty Five : There's Something Wrong With Alex

A/N thank you to those who found my April fools chapter entertaining! (:

Mrs.Moreau and my mother sat in silence at the dining room table, piping hot cups of chamomile tea in each hand. My father had shown up not too long after Mr.Moreau left. He was immediately filled in, and was just as surprised as I when he heard of Mrs.Moreau's heroic act. I figured there would be much to talk about between the three but assumed the presence of Dakota and I hindered the conversation.

I worried to myself what was to happen for Mrs.Moreau if she had divorced. She was a stay at home mom and a struggling alcohol addict. Was it so wrong of me to think she wouldn't be able to? Mr.Moreau had taken care of them throughout their whole lives, he was the prized breadwinner. Partly, I hoped that Mr.Moreau would accept Dakota. He was the same person, no matter what.

"We should get back." Mrs.Moreau spoke, setting down the half empty tea cup adorned with roses. "I'll walk you back, make sure nothing happens." My father stood up, heading for the door.

"If anything happens, call the police and run here." My mom said as she clasped together Mrs.Moreau's hands, who nodded understandably.

"See you." I said softly as Dakota headed for the door. He smiled, solemn, and waved.

The door shut behind them and it was quiet once again. A knot settled in the bottom of my stomach and I couldn't shake off the worry I had.

🏈

That night's sleep was as worse as the last, tossing and turning, unable to sleep as my mind filled with what if's. And when Dakota didn't show up for school the next morning, I was completely on edge. The two were insane for going back home in the first place. I couldn't focus in any of my morning classes. I couldn't be more grateful when the bell rang for lunch.

I stood in line for food, lining up like an ant like the rest of the student body. It didn't take Gemma long to find me as she frantically waved from the cafeteria doors, running towards me, like a dog who'd seen it's owner, leaving Jane behind. But she didn't seem bothered as she gracefully walked our way. As I tossed and turned that night, I thought of Alex's confession and if it was a good idea to tell Gemma. Jane I could trust but Gemma could hardly keep a secret and I didn't want to out Alex when he wasn't ready, that was the worst thing I could do.

After gathering much needed grub, we sat at a table of my choosing. I opted for one closest to the window near the corner, the closest to privacy that a school could offer.

"I wanted to tell you guys something."
"Don't tell me, you're pregnant." Jane smirked as she tossed her garden salad.

"No, this is serious." I said as I held back laughter.

"Right, sorry."

"You have to promise, that you'll tell no one, Gemma. No one." I said in a hushed whisper, peering across the busy cafeteria, as if someone would be interested in eavesdropping on our conversation.

"Hang on, why doesn't Jane have to promise?" She asked with a child-like pout.

"Never mind that, do you promise or not?"

"Promise, now spill."

I leaned in closer, motioning with my pointer finger for the two to come forward, they leaned forward with anticipation. "Alex may be gay."

"What!?" Gemma exclaimed, garnering a few stares. I shook my head, rolling my eyes.

"What do you mean, may be?" Jane asked, pushing up her black rimmed glasses.

"I don't know if he's likes just men or both." I shrugged before stuffing my face with fries.

"Alex? Really?" Gemma asked, doubtful. I nodded repeatedly. It was understandable that everyone I had told found it hard to believe. I wouldn't believe it either if Alex hadn't told me himself, he was the straightest person, and the last person I would've guessed.