Chapter Thirty Four : Lockdown

I walked up to the front door of Dakota's house, hesitantly knocking on it with the back of my knuckles, wondering if it'd be today that I'd be able to see Dakota. I hadn't spoken to him since the dinner and it wasn't by choice. Each time I had tried to see him, Mr.Moreau made up an excuse, he's not in, he's not well. The front door swung open and Mr.Moreau emerged from behind it with a bright smile but it hid something.

"Luka, my boy. What can I do for you today?" He asked.

"Is Dakota coming to school today?" I asked, already knowing he was. It took him a moment to come up with a lie to tell me.

"Dakota is still sick, sorry son." He said before closing the door, leaving me standing in place. I scoffed before turning around and walking down the porch steps.

"De Angelis." Coach motioned for me in the middle of practice, to be quiet honest I was thankful he did. I couldn't focus on anything, not the drills, my classes, not anything. I was spaced out half the time as my mind filled with thoughts of what was going to become of Dakota and I and why Mr.Moreau was keeping him out of school. I figured it was a bit much for smashing a bottle of, more than likely, cheap wine.

"Yeah, coach?"
"Moreau, where's he been?" He asked with an arched brow, speaking in a hushed whisper.

"You're asking the wrong person, coach." I said with a shrug as I averted my eyes from his.

"You let him know the big game is in two days, son. We need him." He said patting my shoulder and sending me back into the field.

My parents won't give me as much as a word about anything either. Each time I asked, they gave me one worded replies or none at all. It was becoming frustratingly painful being the only one in dark. Mr.Moreau was never one to keep Dakota from the one thing he wanted him to be good at, football.

Practice went by in a blur with half assed efforts that I couldn't be bothered with, even when the big game was so near. I walked into the change room, sweaty and out of breath as I grabbed my duffel bag from my locker. I was more worried about Dakota and if the night of the dinner would trigger him to go on a drinking binge.

"No Dakota, again?" Michael asked me as I slid off my jersey, along with my gear.

"No." I said as I hook my head with half a smile.

"What was that about anyhow?" He asked, turning around to face me. I shrugged in reply, pretending not to know as I finished changing out of uniform and sliding on my shirt. Was it wrong of me for wanting to keep Dakota's little problem a secret? Did that I mean I was ashamed for people to know about his alcoholism? Or was it the right thing to do as a best friend? That's what friends were supposed to do, keep secrets, keep things between one another.

"Luka, I know this might be the wrong time but.." Michael paused, looking down at the floor before averting his eyes back to mine and I had a feeling of what he was about to say. I turned away from him before shoving my uniform into my duffle bag, I didn't have to guts to look him in the eyes.

"I still have feelings for you, to be honest I don't think they're going to leave any time soon." He chuckled. I didn't utter a word as I closed my locker door before swinging my duffle bag over my shoulder.

"I don't expect you to like me back but I just needed to get that out." He said before walking to the exit. 

"See ya." He said over his shoulder as he began walking out. I rubbed the bridge of my nose, it felt like I was in some soap opera with a one sided love triangle that I didn't want to be apart of. Even though Michael and I hadn't dated, I was too much of a priss to have an actual conversation with him after practically blowing him off. Dakota and I were still in the grey about our relationship but it felt wrong being around Michael. Maybe I was just reading too much into it like I always did, I was good at that.