Chapter Thirteen : Stepping Stone

"Party tonight. Coming?" Gemma asked me as we exited the school along with Jane. I've been hanging out with them more often due to not talking to Dakota. We haven't spoken since Monday after confessing to each other. More or less was because we didn't know what to say. I thought it'd be more of a stepping stone for us to figure out what we want. But it felt
like we took two steps back instead.

"Maybe."

"You'll need it after seeing that." Jane scoffed as we walked by Dakota and Eva sucking face. I rolled my eyes. Even after the talk we had, he continued to date her. It was like he made out with her in front of me intentionally because every time I'd see them, I'd catch Dakota glancing at me.

I don't know what he's thinking. I hardly know what I'm thinking. I can't piece together why he continues to ignore me even after confessing. We were never the type to talk through things. Forgive and forget, that's how it's been.

I decided that I did need it, and although I was nervous going out without Dakota I had Gemma, and Jane. The place was filled with neon colours and a black light shone through out the house. Glowing faces and sticks were all over the place.

The downside to this party was that Alex was hosting tonight and I instantly regretted agreeing to come when I heard. I knew Dakota would be here with Eva. It was a full house but I'm bound to bump into him sooner or later.

"Maybe he won't be here?" Jane said with a hopeful smile, almost as if she knew what I was already thinking. Dakota not coming to a party? When hell freezes over.

I think I have a feeling that by now Jane knows there's something more between me and Dakota. I don't know how but she's got it all figured out. I'm beginning to think she has me figured out to a tee.

"You guys are still fighting? You're worse than girls." Gemma said as she smeared paint on my face. It glowed bright pink against the light, along with my white shirt.

After Jane and Gemma finished lighting op their own faces, we grabbed some drinks. I necked mine in one go, preparing for whatever was to come.

"Still fighting with your boy?" Alex chuckled walking towards us.

"Just don't let it affect the games, alright?" His tone changed solemn as he squeezed my shoulder and smirked.

"Go away Alex." Jane interjected, rolling her eyes.

"That's no way to treat the host." He grinned and walked away.

I scoffed and took a sip of my beer. The more times we meet the clearer it becomes that he's an even bigger jerk than I thought.

Gemma dragged me to the dance floor, forcing me to awkwardly sway back and forth with her body. She wrapped her arms around my neck and closed her eyes as she rested her head against my chest. As the music played, my eye lids felt heavy and my heart was beating rapidly. I don't know if it was the alcohol or simply out spite but I kissed her.

I pressed my lips against hers and grabbed her waist as it continued to sway back and forth to the rhythm of the music.

I got lost in it and forgot everything around me as my tongue recoiled from my mouth and slid into hers, feeling the warmth that made me cheeks burn red. The music was a blur and so was everything else, I couldn't see Gemma or any one else's face around me. My legs felt numb, along with my arms and I noticed my body beginning to sweat the closer we got.

"Something's wrong." Gemma mumbled barely audible.

"Gemma?" I slurred.

I know I didn't have that much to drink, we only just arrived an hour prior and I sounded trashed.

"I think the drinks are spiked." Jane said coming up to us, seemingly fine. Gemma giggled and continued to lean against me.

"Spiked?" The words came out slowly from my mouth.

"We should go." Jane grabbed Gemma and I followed without a second thought.

"But I was having fun." Gemma whined as we exited the house.

"Luka!" I turned around to find Dakota chasing after us. His face covered in paint.

"What?" I sneered.

"I was just checking if you're okay. Someone spiked the alcohol." He chuckled and walked closer, giving me a smile like everything was normal between us.

"No I'm not okay, I feel like Charlie fucking Sheen right now."

I could hear Gemma and Jane snickering behind me.

"I'm going to take Gemma home while you two figure things out." Jane winked at me and walked away with Gemma leaning on her.

"Want to go somewhere?" Dakota asked. I shrugged and started walking, puzzled as to why I was even able to stand in his presence without slugging him.

We ended up at the school in the football field, laying on the grass without speaking to each other on the account that my body was still reacting to the drugs.

"How are you feeling?" Dakota asked me, looking up at the dark sky filled with stars. The looked bright through my drug induced vision, as bright as the sun.

"About what?"
"Anything."

"I don't know what to feel."

"Sorry about Eva, I don't know why I'm with her. I don't even like her."

"You can't use people Kota."

"You're one to talk."
"What do you mean?"

"You and Gemma."
"We're just friends."

"So are we and we don't do normal friend things.." Dakota said, hinting at the nights we shared. I hesitated to speak, scared of what would come out.

"I should get back to the party." He said and stood up, dusting himself off. I laid still and looked up at the sky, hearing the foot steps of him walk away. I closed my eyes and stayed there til morning, waiting for whatever was in my system to wear off before walking home.

I saw people getting ready for work on my way home, leaving their houses and into their cars with hot cups of joe in their hands. They looked miserable, unsatisfied with where they were in life. Is what the future will be like? I thought. What happens after high school football? And do I even want to play it in the future.

As I covered myself in my blankets, I decided to get past this, whatever it was, with Dakota. It was time to push any pride that I had aside, and apologize tomorrow.

Vote, comment and tell me what you think :)