Chapter Fifty Three : Old Relations

"Dakota!" Gemma exclaimed, nearly toppling over the both of them as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Hey." He chuckled with a smile.
"Jane, your hair, it got long."

"I hadn't noticed." She said sarcastically, with a tight lipped smile.

"My hair grew too." Gemma said as she ran her fingers through it.

"Yes it did." Michael said patting her head.
"So, where were you? Because I sure as hell know you weren't at some training camp."

"I was at my uncles." He paused, meeting my eyes for a moment before continuing. "My uncle is a very strict Roman Catholic so you can guess how fun that was." He said with a chuckle but I knew it wasn't real.

"Oh god, he didn't put you through some sort of straight therapy or anything did he?" Gemma asked with a worry crease on her forehead.

"No, no. I had to repent and pray to God every hour of the day for my sins. I feel ridiculous just saying it." He shook his head. "But you know, after the first year, he laid off on me."

"Well that's good. I'm sorry you had to go through that, man." Michael said as he placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, no biggie. I'm here now." Dakota said as he swung both his arms around my neck.

"Has coach assigned you captain yet?" I asked, sneaking out of his headlock.

"Nah, I mean he offered but I haven't given an answer yet. Mostly because I want to see how you look as captain." Dakota winked at me with a playful grin.

"Man, it's good to have you back." Michael said with a beaming smile as he wrapped an arm arm the both of us, only to be joined by Jane and Gemma shortly after.

🏉

The walk home after football practice was spent in a comfortable silence as I held onto Dakota's hand tightly, not a care for the sweat that was accumulating between our two hands.

"How's your mom?" I asked as we neared closer home, both of us taking slowed steps to make the most out of it.

"She's doing better, I think. She hardly looks at me now though. I think she's mostly ashamed of herself and not so much me." I nodded.

"Because of the alcohol?"
"For my dad sending me away and not being able to do anything about it."

"Dakota Amadeo Moreau!" A gruff voice beckoned beside us, making us both jump and stop dead in our tracks.

"Get in the car, now." Mr.Moreau said sinisterly with eyes that were ready to rip my to shreds.

"You too, DeAngelis."
"Yes sir."

The ride was quiet and I didn't dare look at Dakota, afraid that if I had, Mr.Moreau would go into one of those crazed frenzies I heard so much about and crash us into an tree. My heart was beating fast and hard and I felt as if I'd pass out if it beat any faster.

What was he going to do? Beat me? Beat us both? Make me repent? A million thoughts were going through my head and all I wanted to do was run home to my parents safe embrace.