Chapter Forty Eight : Heavy

A/N I've finally decided to give the parents names. Don't hesitate to ask if the names confuse you. Also so sorry it took long for me to update! Forgive me!

Then next morning was a blur, a fog and no matter how many times I rubbed my eyes it wouldn't go away. The reality that I would no longer see Dakota didn't compute and I found myself wishing it was something I had dreamed. My stomach felt empty and my body felt cold and numb to my surroundings. But I could hear the faint sound of my fathers voice from the living room, his tone carried a hint of frustration.

"You can't do this to them."

What did he say?

I scrambled out of bed, throwing the covers off of me and running to the door, opening it a crack to see my dad pacing in the living room with his phone pressed to his ear.

"This isn't right, Tony."

My heart pounded with adrenaline, full of wonder at the thought of what was being said on the other end of the phone line. Could my father change Mr.Moreau's decision to send Dakota away? Part of me hoped and wished he could've had a change of heart but the other part of me already knew it to be hopeless.

I closed my bedroom door, no longer wanting to hear the rest of the conversation, knowing the outcome. As much as I didn't want to set myself up for high hopes, I couldn't help but want Dakota to miraculously show up outside my window where'd I'd always find him.

I crawled back into bed, throwing the covers over my head so that not an inch of my body was revealed. A lump formed in my throat, making it hard to swallow as I squeezed my eyes closed.

I waited all day to hear that familiar tap on my bedroom window. Every creek would sound like him, but each time I looked, there was nothing. Only complete and utter darkness. No silhouette, nothing.

I awoke to a loud knock. My heart fluttered as my eyes shot open hopeful, ripping the covers off.

"Mom?" I asked with puffy eyes, dazed as I watched her walk into my room, closing the door behind her.

"Luka." She said as she sat down beside me, holding my hand gently in hers, as if I was fragile and break if she'd held any tighter. I stared into her glossy eyes waiting for her to say something but she only smiled, revealing the wrinkles around her eyes and mouth. As my eyes read hers, I could see the remorse that they held. The realization that I had never taken the time to look at my mother, to actually see her and how much she's gracefully aged.

"Sorry." She muttered through each shaky breath before hanging her head down low, averting her eyes from mine. I wrapped my arms around her tiny frame, nearly smothering her and I never realized how close I was to being bigger than her. I didn't take her actions as self pity, because I knew it was genuine.

A/N sorry it's short but I wanted to update.