Chapter Forty Nine : New Beginnings

It was nearing the end of summer and there was no contact made between Dakota and I. No calls, no texts, no letters, I wasn't completely sure if people still wrote letters. As I laid in bed I wondered where Mr.Moreau had sent him and if he was to ever come back. They still lived across the street after all. Hateful stares were exchanged between Mr.Moreau and my father each morning as they both left for work, as if they were two children on a playground who'd just got into an argument over who's turn it was to use to slide.

Mrs.Moreau on the other hand, remained idle on the whole situation. I didn't blame her, she had her own demons to battle. Part of me wanted to think that maybe she had not wanted Dakota to be sent away. My mother's attempts at coaxing me out of my room were futile but were still very much appreciated, knowing she was trying to understand.

I spent the last few days of the summer in my room, with not a bother to tell Jane or Gemma, or even Michael. I ignored any texts and incoming calls, even if it made me a bad friend to do so because each time I was about to hit the send button, I'd erase the whole text instead. I wanted to wallow in my loneliness because I didn't care anymore, about anything.

I laid in bed with my eyes closed tight, imaging the first day back at school. I'd have been standing by my locker, gathering my textbooks for first period and as I turned around, there he'd be. Smirking at me from across the hall, the way he always had. I felt a warm tear escape my eye and slide down the side of my face.

Maybe I was being over dramatic but it was life with Dakota or no life at all.

"Good morning star shine!" Gemma said with a wide smile as she swung my bedroom door open, walking in like some genie beckoned by my call or the very mention of her name. Jane trailed in not too far behind, her chin high and glasses shiny, giving off that aurora she had to her. I could tell by the little curl on the corner of her mouth that she knew. I sat up in bed, brushing down my hair with my hand in an attempt to look like a normal, functioning human being.

"What in the world made you think we wouldn't find out?" Jane said as she sat down beside me with her arms crossed, like I had done something to offend her.

"Who told you?" I asked with an arched brow.
"A little birdy." Jane said with a devious smile.

"I have got to meet this bird." Gemma said as she twirled on my desk chair.

"Jane, seriously, who told you?"

"Your mom."
My eyes widened in disbelief.

"I was surprised as well." Jane said as she stood up.
"Now, come on." She said as she stood up off my bed.

"Where?" I asked
"Another surprise." She said as she smiled.

"You might want to shower first." Gemma said as she pinched her nose. It had been some time since I had showered so I didn't blame her.

"Surprise!" Gemma said as she opened the front door of her house. Balloons and party streamers hung on almost every wall, bowls of chips were laid out on the kitchen island along with a bowl full of punch. Micheal stood in the foyer with an ardent smile spread across his face as he held a red solo cup in one hand a party popper in the other, setting it off a tad late.

"Surprise." He said as I walked in.

"Michael." I said as I smiled sincerely.
"I heard about your boy, sorry." He said with an empathetic look in his eyes. I only nodded, uncertain of how to respond.

"It's small but it'll be fun!" Gemma said as she grabbed a drink and handed it to me.
"Alcohol free, its punch. Promise." She said with a wink before walking into the living room with a bowl full of plain potato chips.

"Come, I brought scrabble." Jane said as she wiggled her way to the living room, clearly excited to play. I knew what they were trying to do and I felt thankful to have friend who hadn't given up on me after what I had done. But it couldn't fill the missing piece in me that I knew I'd eventually have to overcome. I sighed and nodded with assurance before walking into the living room to join the others.

"First day back as a sophomore , how does it feel?" Gemma asked as we stood in front of my locker. I looked over at Dakota's old locker, feeling that emptiness in the pit of my stomach as I stared at the spot where he'd stand.

"It feels..." I paused.
"Different." I continued before slamming my locker shut, just as the first period bell went off.

It felt odd not seeing him around, at times I would forget he was ever gone. I was getting irritated with myself through out the day and was relieved to hear the last bell go. I was relieved until I realized I had football practice. I left my gear at home and hoped coach would spare me the lecture.

"Coach." I said as I walked up to him with a hand hovering over my eyes to shield them from the hot burning sun. Every one was already geared up, practicing the new and improved drills for the new season.

"DeAngelis, my boy. What can I do for you?" He said as he jotted down some notes on his clip board before looking up to meet my eyes.

"I didn't bring my gear, coach."
"No matter, there's extra in the locker room, your new jersey is in there too."

I nodded, slightly disappointed that I wasn't able to get out of practice. It'd only reminded me and I wanted to forget, or at least wanted it to hurt less. I walked into the empty locker room to find a neatly folded jersey on the bench. With a shaky hand I reached out for it and held it up in front of me. My eyes welled at the sight of seeing that big letter "C" on the left side of my jersey.

"Looks like you're captain now." Michael said from behind me. I nodded with a halfhearted smile before standing up and sliding it over my head. I'm the captain now

A/N vote, comment and tell me what you think! :) also, The Football Boys has been published and is now an ebook! it's available on the app MoboReader, if you would like to purchase :) i would like to thank each and every one of you that has made this possible! TFB has also reached 1M reads and i honestly, can not believe it. so thank you, for continuing to support me and my story! I appreciate you all! i hope you all continue to enjoy my work!