Chapter Twenty Nine : No I, In Team

"Quitting the team?"

Gemma only shrugged as I was unable to come to terms with what she'd just told me. I didn't understand, just last night Dakota mentioned that the scout had offered him a spot and now he was ready to throw it all away? It was his dream just as much as it was mine.

As much as I wanted to confront Dakota about it, I couldn't, more so I didn't know what to say to him. It was at the back of my mind all morning but I couldn't bring myself to do it, part of me felt embarrassed to talk to him, I was the one who pushed him away, and the other part couldn't be bothered with him.

"I just can't believe it." Gemma said for what felt like the millionth time as we sat on the bleachers during lunch. Unlike every other day, it wasn't sunny out. Instead it was dark and cloudy, no sign of the sun what so ever. I decided to buy today's canteen special, sloppy joes but regretted my decision. It looked like it would run away if I tried to pick it up, so I left it untouched.

"Believe it." Jane said, picking up her book as she wriggled her brows.

"Luka, you have to do something." Gemma said as she turned to me, a pleading look in her eyes.

"Why me?"
"He'll listen to you."

"No, he won't." I scoffed. Dakota would never listen to me, not even when we were friends. He'd do the complete opposite to whatever it is I'd say.

"He still likes you, idiot. So push aside your pride and just talk to him already." Jane said, rolling her eyes from behind the book she was reading.

That afternoon was a blur. I couldn't focus on anything during class because I had been mulling over the thought of having to talk to Dakota and what it was that I should say to him. Dakota, don't quit because the team sucks without you? No.

I sighed, slumping my shoulders as I shoved my text books into my locker, I slammed it shut before grabbing my black duffel bag, silently wanting to repeatedly slam my hand into it as well.

"Listen up, ladies. Next game, we're going out of town and into the big city. But that don't mean you can run wild like a buncha' headless chickens, alright? Now get to practice." Coach blew his whistle. It wasn't long after that he motioned for me to come to him. What is he going to say this time? It had been awhile since coach mentioned his conspiracy theories to the team.

"I heard you been scouted." He said in whisper.

"Yes, coach."

"Did anything seem.. off about him?" He said, his eyes darting back and forth behind me as if on the look out for something.

"N-no, coach." I said with an arched brow.

"Alright." He said and patted my back, sending me off. I walked onto the field, feeling like I had just taken a trip into crazy town. Coach always surprised me with the words that came out of his mouth.

"What was that all about?" Michael asked, walking up to me.

"You don't want to know." I chuckled before starting the assigned drills. Practice went by slow and I was finding myself stealing glances at Dakota for almost the entire duration. Sometimes it looked like he was too but I think that was only what I wanted to imagine. I sat down on the bleachers, sore and tired from today's drills as I tried to catch my breath.