Chapter Thirty Nine : PDA

"Hey!" Gemma said with a gummy smile and a small wave of the hand.

"What's up?" I asked her as I stepped out before closing the front door behind me.

"Homecoming, that's what."

"Okay." I said, wondering where she was going with the subject.

"And I just wanted to know.." She trailed off, averting her gaze from mine.

"Yeah?"
"If it would be okay if I went with Michael?"

I chuckled, more to myself, before patting her on the top of her head. "Gemma, you didn't even have to ask."

"I just didn't want things to be awkward if I showed up with him, you know?" She said as she looked up at me.

"Yeah, I get it." I said as I nodded.

"Great then!" She said with a smile and a turn of the heel.

"Wait, Gemma! You came all the way to my house to tell me that?"

"What kind of friend would I be if I hadn't?"

"Anyway, nice battle scar." She said with a grin motioning to my scratched nose before winking and turning to leave. I chuckled as I shook my head in disbelief. It had become more clear to me just how much Gemma had taken my feelings into account, part of me felt actually kind of bad for turning her down. Or maybe it was because it had always been Dakota and I, and I wasn't used to having other friends that cared so much about me the way Gemma did.

Did this mean that Gemma liked Michael?

By Monday morning, word had spread that the Titans showed up at the party, a fight broke out and I ended up getting my ass kicked along with Dakota and Michael. Small town, equals, word travels fast, was it the correct words? No, it never was.

But freshman year would eventually come to an end and that meant I wouldn't have to deal with the ridiculous gossip spread by brainless sheep until the next school year, it also meant that homecoming flyers were posted every where in the halls, there was no escaping them. I stared at one of the baby blue posters hung up near my locker, Enchantment Under The Sea written in cursive gold letters across the top of it. It was staring me straight in the face, mocking me, tempting me to go, knowing full and well that I wouldn't.

"Wanna be my date?" Dakota whispered in my ear as he snuck up behind me.

"I thought you'd never ask." I said with a smirk as I turned around.

"I'm serious." Dakota said, leaning against my locker, staring at my lips and making me nervous.

"I don't know." I shrugged as I grabbed my textbooks.

"It'll be fun." He said teasingly. I half smiled, shrugging again. I had no reason to be nervous about the dance, half the school knew that Dakota and I were together.. or something like that, but the very thought of dancing together made my decision that more clear, I would not be going.

"Stop that."
"Stop what?" I asked as I closed my locker.

"Over thinking." He said as I rolled my eyes.
"Come with me, please?" He pleaded, grabbing me by the hand and staring into my eyes, begging me the way he always did when he wanted something. I sighed, knowing I had no choice but to give in the second he pulled that face and he knew it too.