Chapter Sixteen : Easy

I knew not to say anything to anyone the next day about Dakota and I. Part of me didn't want to say anything either. Just thinking about telling anyone about us made me anxious. At least for the time being. It's not that I'm scared of what they'll think of me but what they'll think of Dakota. As much as I hate to admit it, he cares a lot of what other people think.

"I'll see you at lunch?" Dakota asked as we walked into the school. I nodded with a genuine smile. He returned it and patted my back, his hand lingered a while before walking away. The warmth of his touch remained on my body and sent shivers up my spine, reminding me of last night.

The more I actually look at Dakota, the more I realize things about him that I never truly noticed. His hazel eyes that had a touch of green and the way they lit up every time he talked to me, his smile that caught anyone's attention, and the way his cheeks would turn beet red, giving him a rosy glow.

The feeling overwhelmed me, just how much I cared for him. But also due to the fact that we grew up together and could potentially ruin everything between us.

But you never realize when you're starting to fall for a person, it catches you off guard, sneaking up on you when you least expect it and by the time you do realize it, you're in too deep.

"It's hot." Dakota said breaking the silence as we sat on the bleachers during lunch. I nodded in agreement. We continued to eat, without saying a word. Now that we're.. something, I don't know how to act around him. I feel like I'm meeting him for the first time again. Albeit we were small and couldn't remember anything with our tiny brains but that's besides the point.

I raised a brow at the obviously annoyed person walking up to me and Dakota.

"You've been ignoring me all day." Eva let a sigh of annoyance before sitting down beside him.

"Sorry." Dakota mumbled and continued to eat, not looking in my direction when I eyed him with a questioning gaze. My eyes darted back between the two after Eva snaked her arm around Dakota's and his eyes continued to avoid mine as he stared at the ground. I cursed under my breath, and slightly shook my head as the realization hit me of what was going on.

"I gotta go." I grabbed my bag in a hurry while Dakota looked at me, his eyes silently begging me to stay and his mouth was open, as if about to say something. I swung my bag over my shoulder, ignoring his gaze. I stormed across the field, part of me hoping he'd follow. But he didn't. He stayed sat the bleachers with Eva, pawing all over him.

I felt sick and my stomach felt like it was in knots, all I wanted to do leave this place. I fell for it, when he told me he had broken up with her, hook line and sinker. The halls were empty as I leaned against my locker, letting silently spilled tears roll down my cheeks. Why do I eat up every word he says. It made me question if this was always our friendship. Letting myself be pushed around by him, hanging onto every word he's said. I brought a hand up to my face and wiped my cheek with the back of it. Pushing every feeling I had right now to the bottom of my stomach, trying to numb myself, I started getting ready for my next class.

"Hey, everything okay?" Gemma asked me as soon as class was over.

"Yeah, why?" I put on a smile.

"You're quiet, there's usually something wrong when you're quiet."

"I'm always quiet."
"Exactly."

"I'm fine, I gotta go to practice." I said to her as we parted ways.

Coach spared us his usual tirade of conspiracies and blew his whistle as soon as we were all on the field. I walked to the middle and started doing the new drills already feeling tired. I looked over to the side and found Eva sat on the bleachers, fixing her make up that was too orange for her skin. I glanced over at Dakota from across the field, but couldn't bring myself to approach him. How can I? Tell me, would you?

I averted my eyes from him, fearing that if I looked at him any longer the feeling of my heart shattering into a million pieces would come back.

As soon as practice was over I hurried home. I didn't exactly feel like seeing Eva snake herself around Dakota, not after what we did last night.

"Wait up." He called out behind me, but I only began to walk faster.

"Look, I was going to break it off. I just-"

"Save it for someone who cares." I said with as much malice as I could muster.

"Luka, please. I'm sorry."

I stopped in my tracks and turned around to face him, surprised to find that his eyes were watered and his cheeks were a rosy pink, part of me wanted to forgive him, to give in like I usually would when he talks me into doing something stupid.

"Give me one more chance."
"I can't."

And without another word I walked away from him, his face was full of anguish and it took all my will to keep walking, to stop myself from turning back and telling him it's alright, like all the other times we argued. But this isn't something we could just sweep under the rug, like we did all those times as friends. Things were different now, and there was no way of turning it back.

I felt hurt all over again as I sat in my quiet room. Usually I'd play video games or watch a movie but I couldn't focus on anything else except the look on Dakota's face when I turned my back on him. I was angry at him for lying to me about Eva, letting her paw him in front of me without being able to say anything. The only thing I could do was bite my tongue and watch.

I was stuck between being a best friend or being something else other than that. My head felt heavy as I laid it down on my pillow, contemplating on whether I should apologize or remain angry. Apologize for what though? For not forgiving him?

I let out a loud groan of frustration.
I'm just a sucker for him, I guess.

Don't forget to vote and comment telling me what you think :)