Chapter Eighteen : Co-Captain

A/N picture of Luka above.

Dakota's grip around my hand was firm on the walk to school and made me feel reassurance that this time maybe he was telling the truth about him and Eva. It still irked me knowing that we kissed while they were still together. I shook the thought from my head. It wasn't my fault, so I shouldn't be worrying so much about it. Right?

The clouds were grey and dark as I looked up at them, making me wonder of what the day would bring. Hoping that it didn't mean anything bad was coming my way.

As we neared closer to the school, Dakota let my hand free and mumbled an apology. He looked at me and gave me a hesitant smile.

"Sorry."

I nodded, understanding why he let go. He was scared, and so was I. I didn't know when we'd be ready to be open about whatever we were. I didn't know if I'd ever be.

We entered the school, heading straight to the lockers. It was already filled with students getting ready for first period. I couldn't look anyone in the eye, afraid that they some how knew about us. I didn't exactly like hiding this like it was some dirty secret, but I wasn't ready for anyone to know and neither was Dakota.

I grabbed my books for first period with him by my side, waiting for me. Even though we weren't talking, it was a comfortable silence as we exchanged smiles, stealing glances here and there. Every time I looked him in the eyes, I was reminded of yesterday in my room. The words he said to me echoed in my head and it made me feel the way I felt at that moment. Part of me still couldn't believe what had happened, that my best friend since childhood was now something more than just that.

The warning bell rang for first period and the halls quickly became empty, leaving just the two of us in it.

"I'll see you at lunch." He said before glancing from side to side for a moment at the empty halls. He laid a tender hand on my shoulder and pressed his lips against mine that were now becoming so familiar. It was quick and fleeting, barely giving me a chance to feel the warmth of him, leaving me wanting more. He winked at me as he made his way across the hall, leaving me standing speechless in the now empty hall.

I could only chuckle to myself as I quickly whipping around in an attempt to get to class on time, only to bump into Alex. It felt like I crashed face first into a brick wall, letting out a groan.

"Watch it." His meaty shoulder shoved past me, nearly knocking me over as he stormed down the hall. Jackass.

"So does this make me your.. boyfriend?" I asked Dakota in a hushed whisper during lunch. I had been thinking about it all morning, I knew what we were but I wanted to hear him say it.

"Yeah, I guess it does." He said with a sheepish smile.

Things went smoothly that morning in what felt like forever. We couldn't make anything obvious that would leave people to believe we were anything more than best friends, aside from that kiss Dakota snuck in earlier. I had only prayed no one seen that but on the other hand I didn't give a damn if anyone had.

We were already close to begin with and even though we couldn't do what every other couple did at school, it was nice just knowing we were more than that now.

The day played out fairly decent and I was beginning to think maybe there wouldn't be any scandalous news today. That was until football practice. Alex would glance at us with a questioning stare in his eyes all practice but I'm positive he was only wondering why Dakota hadn't hung out with him all day. Not to mention he and Eva were friends, and friends of exes are always assholes to the other party after a breakup.

That's one thing I never understood about relationships. Why things are so different with a exes friend afterwards. It's not as if they were dating the person. Let's not forget that Alex is part of the football team, and the team is supposed to come first. A.k.a, not being an asshole to your teammates. Did he forget that I was co-captain? I chuckled at my slight arrogance.

"Hey." Gemma sat down beside me on the bleachers as I was waiting for Dakota to finish.

"Hey." I smiled.
"Congrats on becoming co-captain by the way."

"Thanks."
"You and Dakota are going to take the team to playoffs, I just know it!" Gemma squealed with a ditzy smile.

"You were never this excited about football." Jane said as she walked up to us.

"That's because I never had a reason to until now." Gemma smirked and winked at me. I gave her a half smile, and avoided her gaze. It made me feel a small amount of pity for her when she said things like that, wondering if she really did have feelings for me that I wouldn't be able to return. I just couldn't see her in that way.

"Are you ready?" Dakota asked from behind, putting a hand on my shoulder with a smile. His cheeks were rosy and his hair was drenched -I never realized that it looked so good on him until now.

"Yeah." I grabbed my duffel bag and swung it over my shoulder. Jane glanced at me with a devious grin as her eyes darted back and forth between Dakota and I.

"What?" I mouthed to her with an arched brow.

She shrugged and smirked, turning her attention back to Gemma.

"There's a party on Friday at my place. Are you coming?" Gemma asked me before leaving.

"Definitely." Dakota said with a huge grin before I could answered no.

"Great, see you there!"

As soon as we parted ways from Gemma and Jane I immediately tried to convince Dakota not to go to the party. Nothing good comes out of going to a party. If anything, something disastrous almost always happens. And I end up hauling his ass back home.

"It'll be fine, don't worry." Dakota patted my back.

"Fine." I gave in, little to no time as he flashed me a grin.

There's no talking him out of it. It's barely three months into the year and he'd been to almost every party I had heard about. And I can't not go with him because that went so well the last time. Maybe this time I'd find him with Jane. I scoffed, yeah right.

The thought that maybe Dakota did have a drinking problem scared me and I remembered what he had told me that day in his room, seeing his mom looking completely out of it. I shook the image from my head and focused on the path in front of me. I'm sure he had it under control. And besides if he didn't, I was here.

"Stop frowning so much." Dakota chuckled and shoved my shoulder. I shrugged and continued walking, too busy to focus on his words as I drowned in my thoughts.

"The party will be fun, I promise. And if it isn't, we'll leave." Dakota put his hands on either side of my shoulders with a smile on his face, his nose so close to touching mine. His beautiful hazel eyes that I never noticed before entranced me and I nodded, believing him.

"No babysitting, right?" I said jokingly, nudging his shoulder with mine.

"I'll be with you the whole night." Dakota said with a beaming smile as he grabbed my hand.

So I read up on football a lot prior to writing this book but I couldn't find out if there was such thing as a co captain. I've never heard of one before but tell me if I'm wrong. Vote, comment and tell me what you think! :)