Chapter Forty Four : Summertime

A/N I would love to hear your ideas on how the parents find out about Dakota and Luka.

I stared up at the cloudless blue sky above me through my sunglasses that tinted the scenery a deep purple as I swung in the canopy behind Dakota's house. My arms laid above my head as he laid by my side, doing the same. In the distance I could hear the chatter of my parents, exchanging smiles and laughter as they sat on the patio with Mr. and Mrs. Moreau, picking at a platter of crackers and assorted cheeses, no wine.

"It's you and me, all summer." Dakota said in a hushed voice but we were far enough for our parents not to hear.

I chuckled. "What exactly will we be doing?"

"I have a few things planned." He whispered in my ear as he turned on his side before twirling a lock of my dark hair with his index finger. My eyes darted to our parents in hopes they were not looking to see us so close to each other.

"I was thinking since it's your birthday soon, you could spend the night." Dakota said as he bit his lip and I immediately knew he what he was hinting at. The blood rose to my cheeks, turning them a sheer red at the image of Dakota and I spending the night together, so to put it. Dakota and I had done plenty together but this was entirely different and nothing compared to -spending the night together.

"I-I don't know." I said, averting my eyes from his, looking at the tree nearby instead. The smallest of squirrels was sat on one of the many branches, holding a chestnut to his chest as his beady black eyes stared down at me, as if judging me for my sins.

Stupid squirrel.

"I don't want to force you or anything.. if you don't want to, that's fine." Dakota said in a soft voice as he subtly brushed his hand over mine, extending his arms as if to stretch.

"Okay." I said as I nodded a little too fast, making it obvious the suggestion made me anxious. Wasn't he?

But he did know more than I. And I wasn't entirely sure if Dakota was- deflowered or not from the amount of times I'd seen him at a party with a different girl. If it was true, part of me felt jealous that I wasn't his first.

"Boys, dinner!"

The relationship between my parents and Dakota's parents carried on as normal as it could possibly get. But I still wondered how Mrs.Moreau was coping. Dakota hadn't mentioned anything and I wasn't sure if it was right to ask, so I remained quiet on the subject.

I sat on the end of the table with Dakota and my mother on either side of me as my dad sat on the other end, along with Dakota's parents.

It was Mr.Moreau's signature dish, as he called it, grilled chicken and veggies with rice on the side.

"Mr.Hugh mentioned that he was at your last game, boys." My father said in a solemn voice and my eyes widened in fear as they darted to Dakota who looked just as petrified as I did.

He knew.

Mr.Hugh attended the game, seen the kiss and told my parents! I wanted to cry and drop to my knees to beg for forgiveness or make up some bullshit lie that it was only a celebratory kiss, those exist right?

But I sat still, frozen stiff with my mouth gaping open as I tried to speak and remember how to breath.

"Great trick play, I'll tell ya!" My dad said as a smile spread across his face before patting Mr.Moreau on the shoulder. I chuckled weakly as a cold chill went down my spine.