Chapter 2: Notice Me

~Chapter 2~

Jedrick

“Jedrick Josh Mayden get up, right now!” his mother stood in the doorway, her arms crossed, “You’ll be late for your school.”

Jedrick rolled on his bed and groaned, “I still wanna sleep.”

His mother sighed and sat on the edge of his bed, “Honey, this is a big day for you. You can finally go to a private school and no harm will come to you. The school’s shielded, I believe. And Ashton will be by your side.”

He let out another groan and sat up on his bed, “Is it really shielded…like in camp?” he said as he kicked off the sheets from his legs.

“Stop acting like a child, Jed.” His mother told her.

He pouted, crossing his arms over his bare chest, “I’m not a child.”

“Then stop acting like a middle-schoolboy, get up from your bed, and take a shower.”

Jed sighed and did what he was told to. He wants to admit, really, that he’s looking forward to going to that new school with his friend and not worrying about monsters attacking anymore, but he never wanted to leave his mom.

Just don’t worry about it, Jed, He thought to himself, she’s going to be fine; no more monsters will bother her if you go away.

He ran a hand through his messy morning hair and stared at himself at the mirror. He thought about how he would live in Washington. He tried to imagine himself getting on the car, arriving at Washington and studying in a private boarding school.

“Oh, it’ll be so much fun.” He said to himself with full sarcasm.

He can see it now, the snobby rich kids, the sophisticated classes, the strict teachers. The only people he knows are Xandra and Ash. It’ll be hard to fit in, even though he was rich himself because of his great aunt.

“Hurry up, Jed!” his mother called from downstairs. He quickly put on the school’s uniform. Khaki pants, a dress shirt and a sweater vest completed with black leather shoes. He hurried down the staircase and went to the dining room to eat breakfast.

Jedrick slid down the grand staircase banister and headed towards the dining room. A long oak table stood there, with his breakfast prepared on it.

“Are you sure you packed everything you need?” his mother asked her whilst he sat on one of the chairs. He rolled his eyes, “Yes, Mom. Even my sword, ambrosia and nectar, plus a few drachmas.”

His mom sat on one of the dining chairs as well, lacing her fingers together, “Maybe you can visit me during winter break. And by summer, you’ll be back at camp.”

Camp, Jed thought, the only place I want to go to.

“Mom,” Jed began. His Mom looked at him and he continued, “what if I won’t be safe there at all?”

His mom sighed, “You’ll be fine, sweetie. I know you will.”

Jed dived into deep thought. He knew his father wasn’t much of a warrior, but he didn’t hate him. He wasn’t one of those demigods who get mad at their godly parents for leaving them to suffer. No, he wasn’t like that. He knew his father – his godly parent – had lots of children, and he couldn’t possibly find time for every single one of them.

He wasn’t like that, though his best friend and cabin mate was.

After he finished his breakfast, his Mom and he loaded his bags in the limousine, his great aunt rented just for his travel. He’ll be just sitting there, in the limo for hours until he gets to Washington. That’ll be a lot of time.