Chapter 32: Unbearable

~Chapter 32~

When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was my aching back. I must’ve been sleeping in the most uncomfortable position ever but as I focused more on what I felt, I realized I was lying down on something hard and cold. My head was leaning on a wall and the rest of my body was lying down: definitely one painful position. I struggled to open my eyes and fortunately, they fluttered open. The first thing I noticed was the darkness. It was almost dark in here if not for the lit candles and lamps placed everywhere. I sat up, rubbing my sore neck and saw that I was lying down on cold hard black stone. I was currently in a black metal cage that was attached to the wall. Everywhere I looked, it was whether red or black.

The next thing I examined was myself. I remembered falling here and crashing down on a rocky surface. Then there was the strange woman’s voice. A sudden worry surged through me. How long was I here? Wherever this place is. Anyway, I touched my forehead and saw that the upper part had dried-up blood on it. And my head was aching a little. Every muscle in my body ached and felt like they were burning. The memories of the hydra rushed to me as I was looking at the condition my body was in. Oh, and my clothes were partly ripped and shredded and my hair was messier than ever.

I observed the place more and tried to remember what this place was. Then it hit me.

Oh, damn.

Oh gods.

Oh damn gods.

I tried to stand up but I was too weak. So instead, I crawled towards where the chain bars were. I clung onto the rock bars for support and tried to look around for someone or something to help. It suddenly all became clear to me. Of course Gerald would know who exactly was after me. And that someone was dangerous and powerful. I gulped…this was something I could not definitely handle. I’d probably die here before I could even get the chance to fight.

“Hello?” I called out. My voice was soft and hoarse so I doubt anybody would hear it.

“Oh, good you’re awake.” A girl’s voice sounded in the room. But it wasn’t the voice I heard before I passed out. This voice sounded like it belonged to a girl my age. Then, the person stepped out from the shadows. She had curly black hair and shining grey eyes though, I noticed she had this misty figure.

The ghost-girl walked – or floated, whichever – towards the cage and stopped in front of me. “I’m Rozanne Elkin,” she grinned, “Daughter of Athena.”

Okay, I don’t know how to respond to that. It’s not every day I wake up in a cage in the underworld and greeted by a smiling ghost. So I merely gulped and nodded.

“Are you okay?” she asked in a concerned tone and lowered herself down to my level.

“I’m fine,” I croaked out.

Her eyebrows furrowed, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” Unless you have nectar or ambrosia somewhere, I wanted to add. But I don’t want to trust this girl yet. She’s friendly, yes, but I would be stupid to trust someone from the underworld. There are a lot of things I’d love to be asking Rozanne and I’m sure she’d have answers.

She shrugged and sat down in front of me, the bars separating us. “Why am I here?” I suddenly questioned. I knew the answer to that, but I wanted to see if she knew why.

“Hades said he just needed you here. I don’t know why. I asked Persephone, too but she said she didn’t know either. But I could tell it’s something serious, or else he wouldn’t need you here. You probably got him mad.” Or he wanted something from me, I thought. So Rozanne and Persephone didn’t know, but Hades did.