Chapter 12: Pass By Me

~Chapter 12~

Clarence

She lay down on her bed, thinking about her past encounter with a goddess. It’s been a few weeks after that. She told Ami about it, and Lindy, too. Clarence stared at the ceiling, placing her hands at the back of her head. She couldn’t sleep at all this night. She glanced back at her window. She thought maybe another stargazing session would help her have some shut eye.

Crawling towards the soft couch beside the glass window and wrapping herself around the comforter, she looked out. The window was big enough for her liking and it gave her a nice view of the night sky. She just looked at the stars, wondering about them. They glittered and sparkled and scattered around, lighting up the darkness. They even guide people – through constellations. Her mind flew towards that memory of her dream or nightmare. In that dream, she was claimed by her mother thus explaining the floating symbol one her head. She also thought about the way the stars came to her. Lindy said she had a power. Was that it?

Athena, the goddess, chuckled at her, “Well, Clarence, I never thought you’ll guess.” Then, Athena led her to the various bookshelves full of books of every kind. Clarence said to her, “Why are you here with me, Lady Athena?” she was nervous that the goddess knows about her. If not, then there wouldn’t be any reason for Athena to come to her.

“I suppose you know now that you’re a demigod, am I correct?” the goddess said, fingering the books in a particular shelf. Clarence stopped walking beside her.

“Yes,” the girl’s voice was faint.

“And you know about your godly parent, your mother, right?” Athena turned to her, her gray eyes staring into Clarence’s.

Clarence let out an inaudible gulp, “Yes,”

“Though, do you know why it is so important that other people – other gods or goddesses – shouldn’t know about it?” Athena asked. Clarence gaped at her, “So you know?”

The goddess nodded, walking towards another aisle, “Yes. When Ares took revenge on your mother, I witnessed it all. He didn’t notice me, but I do know everything. Plus, I am the goddess of wisdom.” Great, Clarence thought, another goddess added to the list.

 Athena continued, “I’m not telling my father this and put you in danger. I’ve got an interest in you, Clarence. I’ve been watching you a few times now. You’re a strong young lady. Like your mother.” Clarence winced at this. She did not want anyone to talk to her about how her mother and she are alike. She hates Artemis, as if that wasn’t obvious.

Goddess Athena lifted the girl’s chin up to look at her, “You look so much like her, Clarence.” Clarence recoiled from her touch.

“But back to my question,” Athena said, “do you know why it is necessary to keep your secret hidden?”

Clarence didn’t doubt about this. She knew, “Your father will come after me if he knew. My mother vowed to be a maiden, but she gave birth to a child. Surely, the king of the gods would try to kill me. Or maybe, my mother herself.”

“Yes, you are right,” Athena beamed at her, “But Clarence, don’t hate your mother. She does not want you dead, I assure you that. Even if you weren’t meant to be born, she loves you – as a real mother.”

Clarence frowned at this, “She hates me, Lady Athena.”

Athena sighed, “Okay, if that’s what you think, then you’ll try to believe that.”