Chapter 21: Befriend Me (Part One)

~Chapter 21~

Jedrick

He sat up groggily on his bed, glanced around and realized where he was. He was back in his nice warm cabin in Demicamp. He turned his head and saw Ash wasn’t in his bed. He was probably in the bathroom. Yesterday morning, he and Ash packed up their luggage and a car came to fetch them and brought them in New York. They didn’t even unpack much; both boys just crashed in the beds because the travel was tiring and long. Jed didn’t see Clarence yesterday, so he assumed she was back to her condo here in New York.

He swung his legs at the edge of the bed and went towards the bathroom. Seeing it was locked and Ash was still inside, he went upstairs to the other bathroom. The demigods weren’t arranged in their cabins by their godly parents, or by cohort. They were simply assigned into certain cabins, with two to four demigods each. Ash and Jed were the lucky ones because they had this whole cabin to themselves – even though it was fit for four people. The arrangement for the big three kids were different, though. They stayed in the big three cabins, two demigods each – one Roman and one Greek.

Jed stopped in front of the bathroom door and reached for the doorknob. But when he was about to open the door, it swung open revealing a girl.

His eyes widened, “What are you doing here?”

Clarence shrugged, “I live here now.” She was dressed in a tank top and jean shorts.

“What do you mean you live here now?” That’s when Jed realized there was new stuff in the attic – Clarence’s things. She made her way to her bed and started to comb her damp hair.

“I mean what I mean. I live here now, with you and Ash.” Clarence answered.

“But…but how did you get in? Um…did they even allow you to get in?”

She explained, “That night, in the woods, I found Halliope – well it was more like she found me. Halliope managed to convince me to go here, where I’ll be safe. We traveled and got here last night. I brought her to Chiron and told him everything – my godly parent, my life…everything. At first he doubted because there wasn’t any prophecy about it. But when I showed him my powers and Halliope told him something, he swore on the River Styx to never tell anyone. So there…I’m here.”

Jed raised his brows, “Ash would be furious if he found out you’re here.”

Clarence rolled her eyes, “It’ll be fine.”

“No, Clarence, you don’t understand. Ash and I…we’re one of the most popular guys here in camp. If they found out we’re allowing a girl stay with us in here, then that’ll raise suspicion.”

“Don’t worry, Jed. I’ll just stay in the shadows and not intrude in your popular business. People would just know me as the girl who hasn’t been claimed yet.”

The sound of footsteps echoed downstairs and not long after, Ash appeared in the room, scowling at Clarence, “What is she doing here?”

Jed sighed and explained everything to Ash. But he wasn’t still fine with the idea of Clarence staying with them. “Why do you have to stay with us? Why not the other cabins?”

“You two know about my secret, and I am not taking the risk of letting anybody else know.” Clarence replied.

Ash narrowed his eyes, “You can stay. Just don’t mess up anything.” Then, he left.

Jed turned to his cousin, “Sorry for Ash. Anyway…um…is she…” he stammered.

It took Clarence a few seconds to understand what he was about to ask, “Oh, I don’t think Ami’s here yet. She told me she usually stays a couple more days home after summer break starts before she goes to camp.”