Chapter 4: Torture Me (Part One)

~Chapter 4~

Ashton

He sat in the classroom, silently tapping his fingers on the desk while resting his head on his hand. He waited for the class to be over; for this hell to be over. He wasn’t ADHD at all – nor dyslexic – but this class was boring him out of his mind.

He continued drowning himself in his thoughts. His thoughts for this night, which is going to be awesome.

This night (without Xandra’s permission, of course) Jed and he are going to sneak out of the school and into the field, deep into the forest. They’re sure to find monsters in there: monsters to fight. They weren’t calling it stupid for going out of protection like that ‘cause Xandra said that the shield is kind of wearing off now and the monsters might come in. Being demigods and can see through the Mist, they decided to do something about it.

She glanced at Jed, who was as bored as him. The classes at camp weren’t boring, not too dangerous but Ash definitely preferred those instead of sitting in a classroom with a hundred year old teacher rambling on and on about history.

The bell rang and it signaled the end of the class. Ash immediately sprung from his seat and ran towards his best friend. Jed was just leaving the door when Ash caught up with him.

“Hey, come on, let’s head to lunch,” Ash told him.

Jed looked at him nervously, “Sorry, I can’t. I’m actually sitting with someone else today.”

Ashton narrowed his eyes, “It’s that Clover girl, right?”

“Yep,” his friend replied, “But you can come sit with us if you like.”

Ash argued with himself about this. Merilda would absolutely kill him if she saw the two of them sitting with her at lunch, but then he needs a day to get his girlfriend off his back. What was there to lose, right?

“I’ll go,” Ash said, “But we’re still up for it tonight…you know.” The fighting session.

Jedrick nodded in response and they walked towards Clover’s locker, where she was standing.

“Hey, Clover,” Jed greeted her.

“Jed?” she said, cautiously looked around, checking if Merilda’s nearby.

Jed put a hand on her shoulder, “Just don’t worry, Clover. You’ll be fine.”

Clover’s gaze shifted to Ash, but he just looked away. Jed assured her that Ash wouldn’t be any trouble at all.

“I still don’t think you should be here. Just go on with Merilda, I don’t mind,” she started off to the other direction but Jed grabbed her elbow.

“Come on, Clover, please. Just ignore that she-devil.” He said.

Clover plunged into deep thought, obviously thinking about something. Ash just wished she would answer already because his stomach was growling.

A familiar click of heels came closer and closer. Clover turned her head and noticed that it was Merilda, heading to her locker.

“S-sure. I’ll just go ahead of you guys,” Clover said, dashing off to the cafeteria. Fortunately, Merilda still hasn’t seen them so the two boys took he chance to chase after Clover.

By the time they got there, Clover was already in her usual seat, poking her lunch. Jed and Ash sat across from her. She glanced at them for a millisecond before returning her attention to her food, as if they weren’t there at all.